Not sure if it is still worth posting here as several things mentioned here have been ignored. (The stuff in the other thread "Complete german Item Translation" also seems to have ultimately been ignored, but I disagree with many of the suggestions in that thread anyway.)
Anyway, there are a couple of translations that really bother me. Those are issues beyond just simple orthography/grammar mistakes or less optimal name choices, but things that are confusing or even misleading and should really be corrected imho. There are also some bad translations where an English word was seemingly misread before translation, leading to a completely different meaning in the translation.Category 1: misleading skill descriptions
Category 2: different Items with the same name
- Gangster skill description:
- english as is: "Increases equipment strength by 25% for all rogues in party"
- german as is: "Die Stärke der Ausrüstung wird um 25% erhöht."
- issue: The whole "for all rogues in the party" part is missing in the translation.
- german as should be: "Die Stärke der Ausrüstung von Dieben in der Gruppe wird um 25% erhöht."
- Commander skill description:
- english as is: "Increase the strength of everyone in the party by 15%"
- german as is: "Die Stärke von Kämpfern in der Gruppe wird um <amount> erhöht."
- issue: German version says that only Fighters get the bonus.
- german as should be: "Die Stärke aller Gruppenmitglieder wird um <amount> erhöht."
Category 3: confusing (and presumably accidental) translations that alter word meanings
- "Draconic Amulet" (lvl 36 Amulet) and "Draconic Charm" (lvl 45 amulet) are both translated as "Drachenamulett".
"Draconic Charm" could be renamed "Drachentalisman".
- "Shadowed Gloves" (lvl 18 bracers) and "Nether Gloves" (lvl 52 bracers) are both translated as "Schattenhandschuhe".
There is no perfect match for "nether" in German, but "Nether Gloves" could possibly be renamed "Höllenhandschuhe" or "Handschuhe der Unterwelt" or "Unterwelt-Handschuhe".
- This one has definitely been reported before: The artifact "Wyvern Wing" is translated as "Wyvernring". (Seems like "wing" was misread as "ring" before translation.)
It should be "Wyvernflügel".
- The quality "Mythical" is translated as "Mystisch". (Seems like "mythical" was misread as "mystical" before translation.)
It should be "Mythisch".
(Both words "mythic(al)/mystic(al)" actually exist almost exactly the same in German: "mythisch/mystisch". And the fact that "mystisch" ("mystic") is actually used multiple times in item names makes its use as quality all the more confusing.)
- "Divine Tome" (lvl 40 spell) is translated as "Göttliches Totem". (Seems like "tome" was misread as "totem" before translation.)
There is no perfect match for "tome" in German, but decent names would be "Göttlicher Foliant" or "Göttliches Kompendium" or "Göttlicher Band".
- "Gaia's Mantle" (lvl 27 clothes) is translated as "Riesenumhang". (Seems like "Gaia" was misread as "Giant" before translation.)
It should be "Gaias Umhang".
There are likely more such things which I either didn't stumble upon yet or have forgotten about. And there are plenty of minor translation issues, but I probably won't bother listing them all.