Alternative Games to Shop Heroes?

Post your fan creations, streams, off-topic, and the like!
allanclow

Alternative Games to Shop Heroes?

Postby allanclow » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:38 am

Hey all,

I've been grinding through SH for about a year and a half now and it's starting to get boring. Most of my complaints are the same as the other threads you will read around the boards.

My question is, what other games that provide a similar gameplay to SH have you been playing and enjoying?

Something that has a market (the trade house), community (cities), RPG style advancement (crafting and customizing heroes), shop customization, pvp, etc.

Thoughts?

Speadie
"Great" Mastery Member

Re: Alternative Games to Shop Heroes?

Postby Speadie » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:19 am

Yup, lets advertise all the different games that CC may be competing with, on their forum..

Dastardlyone

Postby Dastardlyone » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:24 am

Have you tried Farmville?....Just joking. No theres nothing quite like it. Just be patient or quit playing for a little while(and try not to bring the game down with you out of spite)
Last edited by Dastardlyone on Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cc_Darkis
Cloudcade Staff

Postby cc_Darkis » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:31 am

Welcome to the forum and grats on the first post!

This stuff is typically not allowed but...if you can have it focused on games that you enjoy or what to look at, provide us some feedback on what you'd like to see carried into Shop Heroes, I'll allow the thread to stand.

Asking or calling out folks to leave/quit etc, will not be allowed. 8-)
"Cauldron is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."~river#44249 :D
"Gems of Shop Heroes are like diamonds of real life."~Prometheus :o

WingDingo
"Epic" Mastery Member

Postby WingDingo » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:57 am

cc_Darkis wrote:but...if you can have it focused on games that you enjoy or what to look at, provide us some feedback on what you'd like to see carried into Shop Heroes
There is no game like Shop Heroes that does everything that Shop Heroes does as a complete game package. It is the specific inclusions and exclusions of core game mechanics that make it what it is.

Free to Play.
High quality art assets.
Cross-platform synchronization.
No energy / timer limits on gameplay.
No mandatory in-game advertisements.
Short-duration-idle-time (~5 minute) gameplay options.
Long-duration-idle-time (60+ minute) gameplay options.
Majority of items are not prohibited (account bound) from being be bought or sold on the open market.
No manual collecting of resources in an open world with your avatar.
Non-mandatory PvP system with appropriate rewards.
Online-only to prevent / reduce many possible exploits.
Addictive gambling mechanics with predictable outcomes.
Endless accumulation of wealth.

There are many games that offer different gameplay packages. After giving literally hundreds of mobile, flash, unity, etc. games a legitimate chance, I have found that Farmville 2 (no joke) is the closest thing you are going to get go Shop Heroes, and it is a worse version of Shop Heroes. There is no hero equipment system with quest skills or workers with stat points, but that’s pretty much it.

If you want to harvest a planet and craft, there are plenty of those games. If you want to craft your own armor and have real-time or turn based PvP, there are plenty of those games. If you want to play in 8-bit side scroller or low-quality 3D block games, there are plenty of those. If you want to play an action MMORPG with a strong crafting system and trade economy, there are plenty of those. If you want to play an AFK idle game for crafting, there are plenty of those. There are games that have parts of Shop Heroes, but none are exactly like it.

What frustrates me most is how good Shop Heroes is, how much the development team was developing at the launch of the game, and how many people this game can draw in and retain. Players need (optional) goals. Some people like infinite blind sandbox. Most players do not like trial-and-error games. Many players do not want to go to a wiki to find out how a game works. Expand those low-level goals into higher tiers into the end game.

Shop Heroes is accessible by online presence and platform options, but needs to be more accessible to players with sub-standard hardware and limited internet connects. You need a graphics setting reduction, and an option to turn off animations. I would also recommend making a new (optional) default Store Front Interface. Only your customers and shopkeeper are visible in a much smaller room (think of the Inn, but maybe even smaller). You can play the game from this interface without being bogged down by the overwhelming full-shop and wandering characters. You can craft, collect resources, access your cauldron, and so on.

For the health of the game, there needs to be one or more of the following: a second server, a new game plus (reset your account to level 1 with a small bonus), or a lift on the ban of multi-accounts. There is a great imbalance gap in player assets that is shrinking as the lack of content is allowing more players to catch up. Some new players like that they can catch up. Some new players do not like that they will never be able to catch up to the highest-level players. Some of the highest-level players do not like that new players can catch up to them.

I don’t know why other companies are not emulating the Shop Heroes game model. I expected someone else to by now, but it hasn’t happened. I have seen a bunch of League of Legends and DOTA games. I have seen a bunch of Hearthstone games. Maybe we'll see Shop Heroes clones in 2018 or 2019.

There are dozens of examples of what Shop Heroes can do, found in other games. The excitement for the December 2016 Patch was lacking with the addition of new items, because the new items don’t do anything. It was a defeating reaction from the players and to the developers. There was no quest that required them to be crafted. It wasn’t until May 2017 that they even had a purpose. The craft / fusion wall for the new Primal items make they inaccessible to all but a few players.

I’ve started playing a game with my wife for the past few weeks. It’s called CoccoPPaPlay. It’s a Japanese paper-doll fashion game. It’s incredibly grindy, addicting, and preciously adorable. It has adopted the current Shop Heroes model, which is, “the core game is complete, and print money through new packages,” with the difference being that the new packages in CoccoPPaPlay can be acquired through free-to-play methods. CoccoPPaPlay quickly phases out the usefulness of these new items for the rotating week-long events.

If I were a developer at Cloudcade, I would strongly consider looking at this game, and making logical extrapolations into how these mechanics would fit into Shop Heroes. There is a flurry of competition and activity. It is extremely “pay-to-win,” but much like Shop Heroes, you don’t really “win” anything for getting ahead. In CoccoPPaPlay, you just get some cosmetic prizes, and I don’t think you’ll have much in the way of complaints from Shop Heroes players winning cosmetic prizes (as long as everyone gets something).

Catarina
"Good" Mastery Member

Postby Catarina » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:22 pm

Fallout Shelter - interesting raid system. Hope, I'll see the same in SH )

Return to “Community Tavern”