Abqu's Stream - Post Broadcast Thoughts

Post your fan creations, streams, off-topic, and the like!
Abqu
"Epic" Mastery Member

Abqu's Stream - Post Broadcast Thoughts

Postby Abqu » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:30 am

Hey everybody.

I've been waiting until I had something worth talking about until I promoted my stream here, and last night's broadcast was particularly fruitful.

I started on a new account to experience firsthand the new player experience again. I have to admit, it was a ton of fun. There were also a few lessons to be learned. First off, the game is overwhelming as the blueprints unlock, which is awesome. Personally, I find games that offer a crazy amount of choice to be crazy fun, and that sense of being overwhelmed was great.

One thing worth noting, and the motivation for this post, is that joining a city (or having someone join yours, as was the case) early on is very detrimental to progress. I wish I could shout it from the rooftops: jumping to city play seriously harms progression early on. The affordability of the inn and town hall is so, so critical. I'll probably devote some more time to this the next time we go lowbie.

We jumped straight to pvp on Abqu after that, and we had some fun. The new "meta" seems to be ret/repel teams, and break/buff teams, but there are some interesting (confusing?) variants. Right now Azula Shake plus Oniera Purify is giving me a lot of trouble. If I see one without the other, it can be handled, but combined they are hard to overcome.

After pvp, we spent some time going over the more common mid-game questions, i.e. how to make gems, how to level heroes, building efficient teams, and so forth. These are pretty common topics on the forum so I won't waste anyone's time.

If anyone wants to come chill, I'm going live most nights. Broadcasts should be up for viewing also. And lastly, if there is something worth noting, I'll try to write it up here (if I remember). I know twitch isn't for everyone, but good info can help many.

Thanks.

Shiroe
"Legendary" Mastery Member

Re: Abqu's Stream - Post Broadcast Thoughts

Postby Shiroe » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:24 am

Abqu wrote:One thing worth noting, and the motivation for this post, is that joining a city (or having someone join yours, as was the case) early on is very detrimental to progress. I wish I could shout it from the rooftops: jumping to city play seriously harms progression early on. The affordability of the inn and town hall is so, so critical. I'll probably devote some more time to this the next time we go lowbie.

Well, most newbies won't have our hindsight. I haven't seen the stream, but compared to the average newbie, you probably kind of did a speedrun, for which those boosts are necessary, while the average newbie probably boosts way less and would notice much less of the higher TH/inn cost from not being in a solo city...

If anyone wants to come chill, I'm going live most nights.

Probably useful to mention a timezone with that. ;) (GMT+/-number probably easiest to convert for us around the world, but any timezone indication should be feedable to http://www.timeanddate.com to convert to one's local time ;) )
as of 2016-09-11: Player level: 44, City: Eolythes, Blueprints: 517, Mastered: 419, Crafted: 78.61K
(except for tier 1 and some tier 2 artifacts mostly running my shop/gearing self sufficient)

cc_Tadaaah

Postby cc_Tadaaah » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:41 am

Awesome feedback and comments! :)

Abqu
"Epic" Mastery Member

Postby Abqu » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:05 am

Shiroe wrote:
If anyone wants to come chill, I'm going live most nights.

Probably useful to mention a timezone with that. ;) (GMT+/-number probably easiest to convert for us around the world, but any timezone indication should be feedable to http://www.timeanddate.com to convert to one's local time ;) )

Shiroe, as I've told you, I love your forums presence.

Starting around 11 PM EST/8 PM PST, most week nights. Akerson seems to enjoy this rough time slot on Thursdays, so I tend to stay away. Weekends depend on MrsAbqu.

I forgot to mention, Aker asked me to do a narration of his movie poster last night, that was a highlight, lol.

-----

I'm going thru the new player experience to inform my own advice. I feel like even last night has given me some fortune cookie tidbits.

"Do achievements; use that money to continue doing achievements."

"Upgrades tables and bins, and use cheap town hall boosts to speed it up."

"Do the best quest you can, and sell excess artifacts for market rates."

"Don't join a city early on, stay solo and make it private."

These sorts of things.

akerson
"Flawless" Mastery Member

Postby akerson » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:05 pm

#1 Narrating my movie was awesome I wish I had a soundclip so I could post it to shop heroes forums to my post to really give it the ambiance it needs

#2 The stream is really awesome if you want to learn stuff or just laugh with Abqu. We also have a lot of other fun knowledgeable people in the chat a lot to help out. Check it out I recommend it!

#3 I don't have a set streaming schedule yet, but I'll likely be doing more like 8ish PM EST to 11 PM EST on weekdays and whatever on weekends (probably the same since I tend to lose steam late...) so during weekdays you can watch us back to like your favorite television marathon.

#4 I REALLY wish the game did a better job of introducing workbenches and upgrades to them. Workbenches are that super frustrating thing that no one realizes is really important until they've already wasted a bunch of time. I don't really think the city upgrade part is THAT important as there's a lot of valuable tradeoffs you get by joining someone else's city (like better resource regeneration, probably higher level workers and heroes, and more quests) but from a speed runner's standpoint I definitely understand the argument. But that's also assuming your goal is to progress as quickly as possible, which is not really the most important thing. But I definitely think if you're trying to be reverent efficient, the best course of action is to stay solo, upgrade your workstations like crazy, and then join a bigger city with boosts to make your resource regen and craft times pretty negligble. But I'd never recommend that to a new player, because you miss some of the learning fun.

#5 http://www.twitch.tv/abqu_! Follow now!

bloop
"Epic" Mastery Member

Postby bloop » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:00 pm

i enjoy the thought experiments you provoke by performing sub-optimal actions :mrgreen:

♥ chill stream A+++ would watch again

cc_CactuSparkles

Postby cc_CactuSparkles » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:19 pm

Great job! :D

Hiws
"Flawless" Mastery Member

Postby Hiws » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:12 am

Sadly missed the stream, but dropped a follow so i hopefully can catch the next one :D

shrimps
"Great" Mastery Member

Postby shrimps » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:15 am

I also missed the stream. :(
Maybe I'll catch it next time if you continue to do so. I'll follow you so I can know about it.

Shiroe

Postby Shiroe » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:37 am

Abqu wrote:Starting around 11 PM EST/8 PM PST, most week nights.

Followed the channel, but don't think I'll be able to watch live often, since that start time is 05:00h local time here in the Netherlands. :|
(watched most of the last stream replay as my tablet was slowly lagging its way through inn videos...)
as of 2016-09-11: Player level: 44, City: Eolythes, Blueprints: 517, Mastered: 419, Crafted: 78.61K
(except for tier 1 and some tier 2 artifacts mostly running my shop/gearing self sufficient)

Return to “Community Tavern”