Fiora's Arena ability bug

Report a bug or find troubleshooting tips for known issues.
Forum rules
Before starting a thread, please check to make sure that others have not already reported the same issue. When reporting a bug, please try to provide a screenshot and to describe the proper instance in order for us to replicate the issue. After an issue has been confirmed and/or fixed on our end, the topic for it will be locked to prevent further reports. For all payment related issues, please open a ticket at http://cloudcade.helpshift.com to receive immediate support.
Shiroe
"Legendary" Mastery Member

Re: Fiora's Arena ability bug

Postby Shiroe » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:37 am

MI-Wolf wrote:Thanks for the info, it explains a lot. The arena is a hot mess in my opinion. It is completely arbitrary if you win or lose. Or at least it seems like that to me. They need to fix or address the arena more. If powers only work in phases then spell that out for people. I know some powers say "before battle" or "during battle." But they don't say the power only happens 1 time for this phase. So, if the power is re-written then maybe it would be more clear.

*looks at ability descriptions such as: "Increase the party's survival rate by 2%", "Prevent a companion's equipment from breaking 2 time(s) during a quest", "Reduce the healing time of companions by 10%"*
Nah, looks like Cloudcade sticks to vague/inacurate/confusing descriptions and then lets the players try to figure out what they meant... ;) :roll:
Though I don't think anybody has clearly written out which skills can trigger under which conditions and how many times.

("survival rate" == boost to both hero and gear power, "companions" == the whole party, including the wearer, "healing time" == both healing and resting time...)
as of 2016-09-11: Player level: 44, City: Eolythes, Blueprints: 517, Mastered: 419, Crafted: 78.61K
(except for tier 1 and some tier 2 artifacts mostly running my shop/gearing self sufficient)

Arty
"Great" Mastery Member

Re: Fiora's Arena ability bug

Postby Arty » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:40 am

I guess we are a bit off topic now, as it moved from a suspected bug to general arena detail discussion, but I'll continue with that anyway.

MI-Wolf wrote:It is completely arbitrary if you win or lose. Or at least it seems like that to me.

Although this has nothing to do with unprecise skill descriptions. It's just that the fight system is much more complex to be intuitively grasped without a lot of arena experience. It's not like in many other games where a quick look at the strength of the heroes will get a rough idea who will likely win. Here the skills have much more impact, and with all their co-dependencies for triggering and all their possible synergies they the outcome is a lot harder to asses intuitively. Humans are not even very good at intuitievely estimating the outcome of a bunch of increases/decreases when they work multiplicatively,which is the case here. It takes a lot of experience and skill to actually "master" PvP in this game.

Whether this is a good thing or bad thing is debatable. I actually like it, exactly because it's not just a question of strength and money spent. Skillful play actually has an impact. And at the same time it's not even too important to really "master the arena", because you don't need to reach very high arena ranks to get the important rewards. With one of the standard teams you can just click through to get a decent amount of wins for loot bags and crown jewels.

Btw, there is also an important arena strategy that doesn't even have to do with fighting details. You can (at least above 3k honor) deliberately set a weak defense team to "fall back down" into an easier combat range. This strategy is something I generally like to encourage because - and I can't stress this enough - it has a self-energizing effect from a community viewpoint. The more player participate in this, the more likely it is to get such a weak team as opponent, which menas everyone gets overall more offense wins (at the cost of more defense losses but they don't matter) and thus more loot bags and crown jewels.

MI-Wolf wrote:They need to fix or address the arena more. If powers only work in phases then spell that out for people. I know some powers say "before battle" or "during battle." But they don't say the power only happens 1 time for this phase. So, if the power is re-written then maybe it would be more clear.

That's is easy to say, but I think it would be hard, maybe even impossible to do
  • by only adjusting skill descriptions,
  • leaving them short enough to fit in the boxes,
  • making them significantly more accurate,
  • not making them more confusing for someone who doesn't already have a good grasp on the arena system.

Maybe you have a great idea how to do this, let's hear it. I don't really have one. The exact details of the "phase" concept are not so easy to describe, especially not within the confinement of the skill descriptions. If you want to convey this ingame, then imho there needs to be an ingame help describing the whole arena system, in which case the skill descriptions themselves could even stay as they are, i.e., short and conveying the basic idea of the skill.

Shiroe wrote:*looks at ability descriptions such as: "Increase the party's survival rate by 2%", "Prevent a companion's equipment from breaking 2 time(s) during a quest", "Reduce the healing time of companions by 10%"*
Nah, looks like Cloudcade sticks to vague/inacurate/confusing descriptions and then lets the players try to figure out what they meant... ;) :roll:
Though I don't think anybody has clearly written out which skills can trigger under which conditions and how many times.

("survival rate" == boost to both hero and gear power, "companions" == the whole party, including the wearer, "healing time" == both healing and resting time...)

Yeah, those descriptions are also somewhat vague and/or misleading. (And don't get me started on the German version, where some skill descriptions are even completely wrong.) There is definitely room for improvement. But to be fair, I think you also couldn't easily put all the details of they system into only the skill descriptions. There would still be questions about which skill effects stack additively, which ones multiplicatively, etc. Those things would likely have to be put into some general ingame help about skills or left for the players to find out.

All that said, I somehow doubt that such things will be changed, even if we take it upon ourselves to fix the descriptions to proper versions that could then be put into the game as they are. I have a vague feeling that the structure of the game and possibly also CC's process doesn't allow for such changes (even just exchanging some text blocks) in a simple, non-time-consuming, non-interfering manner. Either that or CC simply doesn't consider it important enough and doesn't recognize it as a cheap way to boost standing with the community.

Even further off topic: I actually had a very good experience in this regard with another company in another game I played. They also had their problems with quality control and would occasionally push through a botched update,even had to roll back the servers for a few hours. But it was awesome how they handled all those little things. You reported a typo or a wrong description or some small layout problem or some other minor thing....BAMM...fixed in the next update. Apparently their system allowed for such changes without effort and without interfering with other parts of game development. Often the story-writing guy would quickly reply "Oh thanks for catching that. I changed that. You'll see it in the next update." For lots of those tiny things it wouln't even have mattered much if it got fixed or not, but fixing was very easy so it was done. And it made players feel included, that their feedback wasn't just ignored. It also meant that players were a lot more willing to spend their time on reporting flaws or pushing for those tiny game improvements. This culture is something I miss here a lot. Players don't even bother anymore.

Return to “Bugs & Issues”