Shop Heroes not working on Kongregate since last night

Report a bug or find troubleshooting tips for known issues.
Forum rules
Before starting a thread, please check to make sure that others have not already reported the same issue. When reporting a bug, please try to provide a screenshot and to describe the proper instance in order for us to replicate the issue. After an issue has been confirmed and/or fixed on our end, the topic for it will be locked to prevent further reports. For all payment related issues, please open a ticket at http://cloudcade.helpshift.com to receive immediate support.
Aelfgeft
"Good" Mastery Member

Shop Heroes not working on Kongregate since last night

Postby Aelfgeft » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:01 pm

I'm assuming an update of some sort was pushed. Now, most of the time, the game doesn't last past the "Cloudcade/Downloading" screen before giving me a "WebGL has run out of memory" notification. You broke something bad. Now I can only play it on my phone.
Last edited by Aelfgeft on Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bowloftoast
"Great" Mastery Member

Re: Shop Heroes not working on Kongregate since last night

Postby bowloftoast » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:17 pm

This is probably related to your browser, particularly Firefox, which no longer supports NPAPI as of version 52. Switch browsers, or make the jump to Steam. There's a post related to this problem just a couple below this one, with instructions on how to transfer your account.

Feone
"Flawless" Mastery Member

Postby Feone » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:24 pm

NPAPI was removed from Firefox, and with it the Unity plugin. You've been automatically moved over to the WebGL version which is, as you've noticed, buggy to the point of being (almost) unplayable.
I'm not sure if any other browser still supports Unity directly, it's just as buggy on Chrome as far as I know.

I'm not sure how much of the instability is on Cloudcades end though, WebGL is still fairly new, and they are dependant on Unity's support for it.

Steam will run fine, try it out if it's an option for you.

Aelfgeft
"Good" Mastery Member

Postby Aelfgeft » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:44 pm

It happened while I was playing, so I doubt it's my browser.

Feone

Postby Feone » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:20 pm

Aelfgeft wrote:It happened while I was playing, so I doubt it's my browser.

Your browser no longer supports the stable Unity plugin, and uses the unstable WebGL instead.

The issue is with the WebGL build and has been around for a year or more, but you're seeing it because Firefox changed something.

Shiroe
"Legendary" Mastery Member

Postby Shiroe » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:07 am

In general Unity's WebGL export apparently still is pretty unstable, since Unity thought "hey, we have Webplayer, so don't need to tryhard making WebGL good". And based on comments here/facebook over the many months, it seems kind of random if a Shop Heroes build procs a more stable or more unstable result out of the WebGL export "black box". :(
They mentioned a few weeks ago on facebook they planned to try a few WebGL tweaks on the next (bugfix) update, which should have hit around now according to hints by the Cloudcade account... (maybe a snag in (apple) store approval?)
as of 2016-09-11: Player level: 44, City: Eolythes, Blueprints: 517, Mastered: 419, Crafted: 78.61K
(except for tier 1 and some tier 2 artifacts mostly running my shop/gearing self sufficient)

Aelfgeft
"Good" Mastery Member

Postby Aelfgeft » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:30 am

Feone wrote:
Aelfgeft wrote:It happened while I was playing, so I doubt it's my browser.

Your browser no longer supports the stable Unity plugin, and uses the unstable WebGL instead.

The issue is with the WebGL build and has been around for a year or more, but you're seeing it because Firefox changed something.

That change occurred nearly two weeks ago. Why wouldn't it have been an issue until a day ago?

Shiroe
"Legendary" Mastery Member

Postby Shiroe » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:42 am

Aelfgeft wrote:That change occurred nearly two weeks ago. Why wouldn't it have been an issue until a day ago?

Random luck. (play pattern?, other open browser tabs? phase of the moon? ;) )
as of 2016-09-11: Player level: 44, City: Eolythes, Blueprints: 517, Mastered: 419, Crafted: 78.61K
(except for tier 1 and some tier 2 artifacts mostly running my shop/gearing self sufficient)

cc_Tristan
Cloudcade Staff

Postby cc_Tristan » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:50 am

Thanks for the assist, all!

Unfortunately, as Webplayer has stopped being officially supported by Firefox, you've switched over to using WebGL - which, as you've noticed, is less than ideal. Shop Heroes is a particularly intensive title (especially once you have a well-developed shop) and getting the Out of Memory error on WebGL several times before even being able to log in successfully isn't uncommon.

I'll personally echo the others' sentiments here and suggest the Steam version - it's definitely the smoothest version of the game, and we can link your account to it for you if you just file a quick ticket to support!

Feone

Postby Feone » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:54 am

Aelfgeft wrote:That change occurred nearly two weeks ago. Why wouldn't it have been an issue until a day ago?

Late update?

CC_Tristan wrote:Thanks for the assist, all!

Unfortunately, as Webplayer has stopped being officially supported by Firefox, you've switched over to using WebGL - which, as you've noticed, is less than ideal. Shop Heroes is a particularly intensive title (especially once you have a well-developed shop) and getting the Out of Memory error on WebGL several times before even being able to log in successfully isn't uncommon.

Is improving the WebGL build something Cloudcade is working on? There's quite a few players on web still so I imagine it can't help with the community size. Or is it one of those "hope Unity fixes it.." things where you can only wait?

Return to “Bugs & Issues”