In Game Events [Timer]

Share your ideas on how to improve Shop Heroes.
Forum rules
Please check other threads before posting a suggestion or providing feedback to make sure that there are no duplicate threads on the same subject. We value your feedback and suggestions and will prioritize those with the most demand, however, please be patient with us as we already have a very packed pipeline for new content delivery. Any feedback that has already been taken into account will result in the thread being locked as further discussions are no longer necessary.
Shiroe
"Legendary" Mastery Member

Re: In Game Events [Timer]

Postby Shiroe » Wed May 10, 2017 11:53 am

River wrote:In my case, CC staff must only write "XX:XX PST, YY/YY" instead of "YY/YY" on the already existing banner, without patching/programming/etc stuff.
In your case, devs team must write a dedicated "patch".

I forgot to add this to my previous post, but as far as I know the dates listed on event popups are not "just some text", but calculated values.
As far as I know, say an event ends on 2017-05-12 23:59 UTC,
Then for me that would end 01:59 CEST (UTC+2) 13-05-2017, so if I remember correctly the popup lists a "5/13" end date for me.
For someone in the PST timezone that you listed, it would end 16:59 PDT [1] (UTC-7) 05/12/2017 and would list a "5/12" on the popup,
resulting in confusion by people having different dates listed based on localtime...

[1] at least timeanddate.com seems to indicate (some) countries/states in the PST zone use daylight saving time, so are at PDT now...
as of 2016-09-11: Player level: 44, City: Eolythes, Blueprints: 517, Mastered: 419, Crafted: 78.61K
(except for tier 1 and some tier 2 artifacts mostly running my shop/gearing self sufficient)

VeNoM0619
"Great" Mastery Member

Re: In Game Events [Timer]

Postby VeNoM0619 » Wed May 10, 2017 5:33 pm

Luke00016 wrote:Here is a pretty cool ten minute video describing the frustrations that go in to coding anything related to time and time zones. I found it interesting, from a "I have no idea how computer coding works" perspective.

https://youtu.be/-5wpm-gesOY

Which is why the server usually just sends it's own time + the times things happen using that time. Games will often use server time and call it something like "ShopHeroism Timezone" or something silly, to indicate its the server time zone.

Whenever I speak to people online, I always use relative times, and when it's someone new, it takes them a day or 2 to learn to start using it themselves. Saying, "my raid will land in 2 hours" makes sense to everyone other than "at 4 o clock my raid will land" which applies to no one.

As already pointed out, countdowns are relative times. Everyone understands them, and the few people who jump timezones often appreciate it staying relative.

Personally, I wish all timezones just disappeared and everyone used the UTC... so what if I'm no longer waking up at 6AM and am waking up at midnight... its the same time of day, remembering a different number isn't a big deal if it means we all speak the same "language" of time.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”