When to use Support

Share strategies, experience and tips & tricks.
Noremac113

When to use Support

Postby Noremac113 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:21 am

I have been working on getting enough support on a team to prevent them from breaking any of there items. From reading what others have posted, as well as talking with friends and city mates, I have come to the conclusion that 7 support will prevent anyone from breaking an item as long as there is less than a 5% break chance on each item in the team.

This has led me to stockpile my support items until I have enough to fully support my team (3-4 Balmungs). I began wondering if this was entirely neccessary and started looking into this further. My number one concern is accidentally breaking a legendary Balmung which takes me days or weeks to make. My second concern is leaving this Balmung sit in my inventory while it could be out protecting items!

Someone mentioned support protects items in order of how they are equipped with the leaders weapon being protected first, followed by his chest, then helmet etc. If nothing on the leader breaks it starts protecting the second person's gear in the same manner. In this case, as long as I put the Balmung as the weapon of the leader of the party, it will never break and it will protect itself as well as one other item in the party. Great!

Someone else mentioned support protects items in order of break %. So if three items break on a quest, it will protect the two with the lowest break chance. In this case, I need to ensure the Balmung has the lowest (or relatively low) break chance to ensure it is protected. Not as great, but still good!

Has anyone had any experience with this?

Thanks,
Noremac113/Shamrock

Abqu
"Epic" Mastery Member

Re: When to use Support

Postby Abqu » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:50 am

Noremac113 wrote:I have been working on getting enough support on a team to prevent them from breaking any of there items. From reading what others have posted, as well as talking with friends and city mates, I have come to the conclusion that 7 support will prevent anyone from breaking an item as long as there is less than a 5% break chance on each item in the team.

This has led me to stockpile my support items until I have enough to fully support my team (3-4 Balmungs). I began wondering if this was entirely neccessary and started looking into this further. My number one concern is accidentally breaking a legendary Balmung which takes me days or weeks to make. My second concern is leaving this Balmung sit in my inventory while it could be out protecting items!

Someone mentioned support protects items in order of how they are equipped with the leaders weapon being protected first, followed by his chest, then helmet etc. If nothing on the leader breaks it starts protecting the second person's gear in the same manner. In this case, as long as I put the Balmung as the weapon of the leader of the party, it will never break and it will protect itself as well as one other item in the party. Great!

Someone else mentioned support protects items in order of break %. So if three items break on a quest, it will protect the two with the lowest break chance. In this case, I need to ensure the Balmung has the lowest (or relatively low) break chance to ensure it is protected. Not as great, but still good!

Has anyone had any experience with this?

Thanks,
Noremac113/Shamrock

The most recent info I have is that saves lowest break % first, and if there is a tie it goes left to right.

BobTheBuilder has a web tool posted here that can determine probability of break based on all slot equip break% -- it could help you with your overarching concern.

max. plunder

Postby max. plunder » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:59 am

Abqu wrote:The most recent info I have is that saves lowest break % first, and if there is a tie it goes left to right.

BobTheBuilder has a web tool posted here that can determine probability of break based on all slot equip break% -- it could help you with your overarching concern.

That's what I had heard, also, but this week I've had my first break in months, literally (in fact, I had two from the same party on different days this week - guess I need to check their support). The first item that broke was a 2.3% epic, whereas the second was a 1.3% legendary moon walkers. This was my question and response after the first break occurred:

Abqu
"Epic" Mastery Member

Postby Abqu » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:13 am

max. plunder wrote:
Abqu wrote:The most recent info I have is that saves lowest break % first, and if there is a tie it goes left to right.

That's what I had heard, also, but this week I've had my first break in months, literally (in fact, I had two from the same party on different days this week - guess I need to check their support). The first item that broke was a 2.3% epic, whereas the second was a 1.3% legendary moon walkers.

Simplest explanation is that your support rolls saved other, lower break chance items first.

Ronin
"Great" Mastery Member

Postby Ronin » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:25 am

Noremac113 wrote:I have been working on getting enough support on a team to prevent them from breaking any of there items. From reading what others have posted, as well as talking with friends and city mates, I have come to the conclusion that 7 support will prevent anyone from breaking an item as long as there is less than a 5% break chance on each item in the team.

7 support will functionally prevent any items from breaking if you had a 5% break in every gear slot on a team of 6 heroes and no resourceful/fastidious/supplier skills on the team.

In that sense the 7-support benchmark is a "worst case" number as the maximum support one should ever need.

This has led me to stockpile my support items until I have enough to fully support my team (3-4 Balmungs). I began wondering if this was entirely necessary and started looking into this further.

It's probably not necessary. Between unbreakable items, breakable items with break chance lower than 5% (5% is the max possible break for a legendary), resourceful skill, and supplier/fastidious skill, your teams will likely need fewer than 7 support.

Aqbu has already mentioned BobTheBuilder's tool here on the forums, that will be the best way to determine how much support you'll need.

Ronin
"Great" Mastery Member

Postby Ronin » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:30 am

max. plunder wrote:

That's what I had heard, also, but this week I've had my first break in months, literally (in fact, I had two from the same party on different days this week - guess I need to check their support). The first item that broke was a 2.3% epic, whereas the second was a 1.3% legendary moon walkers. This was my question and response after the first break occurred

The "lowest break chance" function is within each hero and each hero is checked separately, leader first and then onward to the right. So you can very well have a 1.3% leg not be protected on hero 5 when a 20% common was protected on hero 2.

Return to “Strategy & Guides”