[Guide/Tool] - Say goodbye to item break.

Share strategies, experience and tips & tricks.
BobTheBuilder
"Good" Mastery Member

[Guide/Tool] - Say goodbye to item break.

Postby BobTheBuilder » Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:32 am

Item breaking is one of the most annoying (and some times really expensive) parts of Shop Heroes. In this guide I will try to explain how item break works, and also how u can prevent it.
I’ve also made a tool at http://sh.tstr.no to help calculate the odds for item breaks in a group.
(It’s still a beta version and more functionality might be added, but the calculations are correct.)

How does break works – the basics
Each item got their own % chance for breaking, and they are treated individually to determine if the item break. A hero with all seven items at 3% break chance gets seven “break rolls”, each with 3% chance to trigger. If a roll trigger, that item break. And the chances for breaks are actually quite high:

(math warning! – skip if u want)
To calculate break chance you have to make all possible combinations:
For one item its easy:
0 breaks: 97%
1 break: 3%

For two items the number of combinations grows to four:
0 breaks: 97%*97% 94.09%
1 break (3%*97%)+(97%*3%) 5.82%
2 break: 3%*3% 0.09%

The number of combinations are always 2^items, so for 7 items there are 128 combinations, but we can easy calculate the odds for no breaks 97%*7= 80.8% (I rounded up to the nearest decimal)
That also gives us the odds for 1 or more breaks: 19.2%.
So in theory he would break an item every 5-6 quests.
(for 2 or more breaks the odds are only 1,7%)

On a team of 6 heroes u got 42 items, that give us 2^42 combinations: 4,398,000,000,000.
But if we stick to 3% break on all items we can easily get the zero break chance:
97%^42= 27,8% chance u will get no breaks.
That means that there is a 72,2% chance u will get one or more items broken!
For 1 break there is 42 possible combinations, so we can calculate that too:
(3%*(97%^41))*42= 36.1%
The odds for two or more breaks then is 72.2-36.1% = 36.1% (!!)
(math ending)

To sum up the basics:
- Even a single hero questing with all 3% gear got a 19.2% chance of breaking one or more item.
- A group of six with all items 3% got at 72.2% chance for items to break, and a 36.1% chance to break two or more.
So the next time one of your townies complains about items breaking you can tell them it’s normal. Actually, loosing three or more items in a six man team got an odds of 13.2%

How do I prevent items from breaking?
The first way is to craft or buy unbreakable items for your heroes. Like an epic Demolisher (lvl 25 epic hammer) for Karal. Don’t do this… it expensive, time consuming and there is a much better way to prevent items from breaking. If u get an unbreakable, use it, but don’t craft towards getting them. Just don’t waste the time…

So what do I do then?
Use hero and item skills! That way u can build teams that can quest from now and until forever without items breaking. It will require some chest blueprint hunting, and some hero levelling, but in the end you won’t regret it.

There are four skills we can use:
- Support (Prevent X items breaking in team)
- Supplier (Lower break % for all items in team)
- Resourceful (Prevents X heroes’ items from breaking)
- Fastidious (Lower break % for hero items)

These skills are unlocked on some heroes on certain levels and by mastering some blueprints you get from chest. Let’s have a look at each one.

Support
(Prevent's a companion's equipment from breaking X time(s) during a quest.)
This skill is your best friend; it provides a fool proof way of preventing items to break. For each level of support you got in your group one item won’t break. And it stacks, so you could (in theory) have 42 support and have all items safe (but you don’t need that many). If more items break than the number of support, then support saves the items starting with the lowest break %. If it two are equal in break, then it saves the leftmost item.
Note: Even if it says companion it include hero with the skill.

Heroes:
Louca (3 at lvl 35), Odette(2 at lvl 18), Oneira(2 at lvl 24) and Albert (1 at lvl 20)

Items:
lvl 1:Noble plate(iron), Winged Sandals (Iron), Adamantium Crossbow (Magic),
lvl 2: Balmung (Giant Pack)

Resourceful
(Prevents X piece(s) of equipment from breaking during quests.)
Resourceful works the same way as Support, but only for that hero. Also, resourceful triggers before Support, this is important, as it saves support for use on other.

Heroes:
Irene(1 at lvl 20), Lancaster (2 at lvl 26) and Kuro (3 at lvl 26)

Items
Level 1:Silver Fork(Gold), Shockers(Gold),
Level 2: Angelic Bell(Holiday package – not for sale anymore), Valkyrie’s Grip (Warrior Pack)
Level 3: Wisdom Ocarina (Wisdom pack)

Supplier:
(Reduce the probability of companions breaking an equipment by 5/10/15%)
Supplier is one of two skills that reduces break %. So instead of preventing item break it lower the chance for it. So if u got 50% supplier break chance on all items is reduced by half (So if all were 3%, they get reduced to 1,5%) Supplier stacks with fastidious and cap at 100%.

Heroes:
Palash (1 at lvl 22), Albert (1 at lvl 12), Irene (2 at lvl 28), Francesca (3 at lvl 28)

Items:
Level 1: Crystal Shield (Gold), Dragon Eye (Magic)
Level 2: Pirate Pistol (Dwarven)

Fastidious
(Lower the chance of breaking a piece of equipment by 15%/30%/50%)
This skill only works on the hero having it, but the percentages are quite high. It also stacks with supplier and cap at 100%, so it possible to make all gear on that hero unbreakable. Note that Francesca has 50% fastidious and 15% Supplier, giving her an impressive 65% break chance reduction.

Heroes:
Albert(1 at lvl 8) Odette (2 at lvl 8), Francesca (3 at lvl 13)

Items:
Level 1: Rifle(Leather), Crimson Hearth (Leather), Eagle Eye (Iron)
Level 2: Valkyrie's Wisdom (Wisdom pack), G.F.G(Giant Pack)

How much support do I need?
With these four skills you can build teams that never have any items breaking. The easiest way to do it is by giving your teams enough support, not to cover all 42, but to get the odds for breaking so low that it practically never will happen. So the next question is, how many support do we need to make sure that the odds for break is so low that it won’t happen?
Legendary items cap at 5% break chance, so we will use that as our number and calculate the odds.
What we want to find out is the odds for more than X breaks:
0 breaks: 11.6%
1 or more: 88.4%
2 or more: 64.8:
3 or more: 35.1%
4 or more: 15.7%
5 or more: 5.7%
6 or more: 1.74%
7 or more: 0.45%
8 or more: 0.01%
9 or more: 0.0033%
10 or more: 0.0005%

7 support is enough
From these numbers we can see that with 7 support your team will break one or more items only once in 100,000 quest if all items have 5% break chance. If we add some Supplier, Resourceful and/or Fastidious it will often be enough with 5 or 6 support, just by adding 20% supplier the odds for 7 or more is reduce to 0.16% or 1 break in 6250 quest.

Webpage
To calculate how much support, you need for each team I made a webpage:
http://sh.tstr.no – There you can fill inn item break % and skills and it will give you precise odds for each number of item breaks.

Summary
Since teams rarely are built just unbreakable, and you normally want energetic and/or healer and other stuff I won’t present any team setups in this guide. But there are some good starting rules for building unbreakable teams:
- Hero skills gives you 9 support alone.
- Noble Plate and Winged Sandals from iron chest are your friends. Get the blueprint, master it and fuse high enough items.
- 7 support in each group is almost always enough.
- Remember that fastidious, resourceful and supplier also reduce break odds, meaning you need less support.
- use the webpage to calculate how much support each team needs.

That’s all for now, I hope this guide helps you away from those annoying item breaks.
Its my first guide, so feel free to ask if anything is unclear, if you spot any improvements or got questions, either for the guide or the webpage
Proud member of the Arkonauts
Creator of Shop Heroes Break Calculator and SH Raid Loot Calculator
Line-id: sh-bob

Abqu
"Legendary" Mastery Member

Re: [Guide/Tool] - Say goodbye to item break.

Postby Abqu » Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:31 am

Awesome work, Bob!

There was definitely a need for someone to present the break stuff from a math perspective, and this covered that, and then some.

Metaldog

Postby Metaldog » Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:33 am

would be interested to see this extended to 4 teams such that people can save all 4 of their item break chances without needing to re-input :D

I couldn't manage to factor wrap my ahead around support and combinations, quite interested in seeing the math behind your tool just to see what I missed.

Nice tool! Much more clean than the hack I came up with

BobTheBuilder
"Good" Mastery Member

Postby BobTheBuilder » Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:46 am

Metaldog wrote:would be interested to see this extended to 4 teams such that people can save all 4 of their item break chances without needing to re-input :D

I couldn't manage to factor wrap my ahead around support and combinations, quite interested in seeing the math behind your tool just to see what I missed.

Nice tool! Much more clean than the hack I came up with

Thanks!

I'm hoping to add some features to make the tool easier to use over time and with multiple teams, that's why it says beta 0.5

If u want to know something about the math send me a pm or even better, add me on Line: sh-bob

alex
"Great" Mastery Member

Postby alex » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:05 am

You said 7 support is enough, but 7 support is all the heroes we have, oneira+odette+louca
And if they are in the same team, means the other team would have no support at all
So, the item break prevention is only applicable for 1 party only

The other support that comes from items are iron chests items, i opened 50 chests, and not even 1 BP from any chest
So, that strategy is more suited for high level players?

I think low lvl players should just stick with unbreakable gears for their t1 (capped) heroes, for 'say goodbye to item breaks'?

BigNasty
"Good" Mastery Member

Postby BigNasty » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:57 am

alex wrote:You said 7 support is enough, but 7 support is all the heroes we have, oneira+odette+louca
And if they are in the same team, means the other team would have no support at all
So, the item break prevention is only applicable for 1 party only

The other support that comes from items are iron chests items, i opened 50 chests, and not even 1 BP from any chest
So, that strategy is more suited for high level players?

I think low lvl players should just stick with unbreakable gears for their t1 (capped) heroes, for 'say goodbye to item breaks'?

I think you're neglecting other skills that characters innately have.

I'm not sure where you break the line between low and high level, but if you don't have iron blueprints, balmungs, etc... then you should probably steak to cheap white/green gear as you work your way through levels/bps and can then work on better gear.

It's not an efficient use of time to work on all unbreakable gear if you can't supplement those characters with gear that prevents items from breaking.

chewythewookie
"Good" Mastery Member

Postby chewythewookie » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:03 am

This is more of a general question, but do the same skills stack?

If I have Kuro Shobi (with Resourceful III),
can I give her a Mythical Wisdom Ocarina and now I have Resourceful VI?

If someone has Resource I, and I give them a Resource II item, what do they have?

BobTheBuilder
"Good" Mastery Member

Postby BobTheBuilder » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:31 am

chewythewookie wrote:This is more of a general question, but do the same skills stack?

If I have Kuro Shobi (with Resourceful III),
can I give her a Mythical Wisdom Ocarina and now I have Resourceful VI?

If someone has Resource I, and I give them a Resource II item, what do they have?

Good question! They stack in value, so Kuro + Occa gives her 3 + 3 = 6 items to be saved. The odds for loosing the 7th item would be veeeeery low.

If u have fastidious 1 (15%) and fastidious 2 (30)% u don't get fastidious 3 (50%), u get a total of 45%.

WingDingo
"Epic" Mastery Member

Postby WingDingo » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:55 am

I never wanted to read this. I have been avoiding reading this on purpose. What have you done. With all the 0% break chances I already have. What have I been doing.

Abqu
"Legendary" Mastery Member

Postby Abqu » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:06 am

WingDingo wrote:I never wanted to read this. I have been avoiding reading this on purpose. What have you done. With all the 0% break chances I already have. What have I been doing.

Good, good... let the support flow through you

Return to “Strategy & Guides”