Time change while traveling

Discuss anything related to Shop Heroes gameplay.
jeroti
Posts: 42
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:10 am

Time change while traveling

Postby jeroti » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:56 pm

I’m currently in China, but am from Canada. If I have things going on like crafting, fusing, and questing when I leave China am I going to end up with an extra day when the time on my phone goes from Beijing time to CST. It’s a long flight and I’d like to take advantage of it by having some long fuses going, but I’m not sure if the time change is going to add a bunch of time when my phone goes back to my local time.

User avatar
Shiroe
"Legendary" Mastery Member
Posts: 2732
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:05 am
Location: the Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Time change while traveling

Postby Shiroe » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:12 am

All such timers are running on the server, so those don't care what part of the world you happen to be in. If you'll have the client open for all that time, having timezone jumps on the way, it might perhaps get confused and show the wrong (too long or too short) timers, maybe an out of sync with the server on trying to collect a craft/fuse/quest, but nothing a relog wouldn't fix so it can re-fetch the correct timers from the server.

TLDR: if someone sets a 10 hour fuse, it finishes 10 hours in "absolute" time later, no matter if you travel any timezones to the east or west.
as of 2016-09-11: Player level: 44, City: Eolythes, Blueprints: 517, Mastered: 419, Crafted: 78.61K
(except for tier 1 and some tier 2 artifacts mostly running my shop/gearing self sufficient)

alanx
"Flawless" Mastery Member
Posts: 404
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:31 pm

Re: Time change while traveling

Postby alanx » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:25 pm

Change of time-zone doesn't actually mean that you have gained or lost any physical time. If the fusion took 5 days it would still take 120 hours to finish no matter how many times you crossed the international date line.

User avatar
Shiro Kobu
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:33 pm

Re: Time change while traveling

Postby Shiro Kobu » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:17 am

alanx wrote:Change of time-zone doesn't actually mean that you have gained or lost any physical time.


Oh really? we don't time travel when we take a plane? Well, that's disappointing... :roll:

You get that the OP's question was does the game clock uses the phone time or a server-side clock (which it does) and Shiroe has already correctly answered this question. Many other games use the phone time so it made sense to ask.
ボンズトレモンド、 シートコンプレンマシニャトゥルピーエムムア。

alanx
"Flawless" Mastery Member
Posts: 404
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:31 pm

Re: Time change while traveling

Postby alanx » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:50 am

Shiro Kobu wrote:
alanx wrote:Change of time-zone doesn't actually mean that you have gained or lost any physical time.


Oh really? we don't time travel when we take a plane? Well, that's disappointing... :roll:

You get that the OP's question was does the game clock uses the phone time or a server-side clock (which it does) and Shiroe has already correctly answered this question. Many other games use the phone time so it made sense to ask.


I was just pointing out that it was a non-issue :roll:
Games do use phone time and people can use that to speed-up things but its usually in offline games.
Not sure how someone else having answered correctly or incorrectly has any bearing on what another community member has to say.

User avatar
Shiro Kobu
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:33 pm

Re: Time change while traveling

Postby Shiro Kobu » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:12 am

alanx wrote:
Shiro Kobu wrote:
alanx wrote:Change of time-zone doesn't actually mean that you have gained or lost any physical time.


Oh really? we don't time travel when we take a plane? Well, that's disappointing... :roll:

You get that the OP's question was does the game clock uses the phone time or a server-side clock (which it does) and Shiroe has already correctly answered this question. Many other games use the phone time so it made sense to ask.


I was just pointing out that it was a non-issue :roll:
Games do use phone time and people can use that to speed-up things but its usually in offline games.
Not sure how someone else having answered correctly or incorrectly has any bearing on what another community member has to say.


OK, let's all look at the ceiling at the same time. Ready?
One... Two... Three... Go! :roll:

Ha ha ha, sorry I couldn't resist.
More seriously, Alanx, I'm sorry if my post annoyed you. I felt that your answer implied that the OP was a silly question and it's not.
Now, the last thing I want is to start an argument here so, please don't bother to reply. If it's important to you, I more than happy to let you have the last say, just PM me and I will delete this post...

cheers
ボンズトレモンド、 シートコンプレンマシニャトゥルピーエムムア。

alanx
"Flawless" Mastery Member
Posts: 404
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:31 pm

Re: Time change while traveling

Postby alanx » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:33 pm

I’m not annoyed nor do I have any intention of arguing over this and there’s no need to drag this any further all the way to PMs.
We just need to all stare at the ceiling more often instead of jumping to conclusions...ready? :roll:

Cheers mate

User avatar
Shiroe
"Legendary" Mastery Member
Posts: 2732
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:05 am
Location: the Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Time change while traveling

Postby Shiroe » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:19 am

Local/device countdown timers are often used to save on network traffic (you don't want to send some packets every second or minute just to update a timer display ;) ) but a decently designed game then makes sure to double check for everything against the countdown timers on the server if the player tries to performs an action possible because a local countdown timer reached zero. If it wouldn't, then you could indeed do jump forward in time/jump backward in time cheating for the things it doesn't check that way.

(another game I play is a big mess of bandaids over the fact that at its core it didn't/doesn't do proper client state vs server state checking; still waiting for devs of that game to bring back gems in milestones once they find a way to more-bandaid/re-code from scratch the part where cheaters manage to collect the same milestone multiple times...)
as of 2016-09-11: Player level: 44, City: Eolythes, Blueprints: 517, Mastered: 419, Crafted: 78.61K
(except for tier 1 and some tier 2 artifacts mostly running my shop/gearing self sufficient)

Tkshowers
"Good" Mastery Member
Posts: 90
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:53 am

Re: Time change while traveling

Postby Tkshowers » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:31 am

Lol, this is the most interesting and active thread we currently have. No disrespect to the OP of course!


Return to “General Discussion”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

©2015 Cloudcade, Inc. All Rights Reserved.