Loot Box Odds

Discuss anything related to Shop Heroes gameplay.
Haze

Loot Box Odds

Postby Haze » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:19 am

peteypie99

Re: Loot Box Odds

Postby peteypie99 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:22 pm

Doesn't really affect this game as pack purchases are not random, neither are purchasing gems. Now... what you plan on doing with those gems is up to you (and is most definitely random) however, none of those things is a microtransaction per se, so it wouldn't fall under this new provision.

Haze

Postby Haze » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:54 pm

peteypie99 wrote:Doesn't really affect this game as pack purchases are not random, neither are purchasing gems. Now... what you plan on doing with those gems is up to you (and is most definitely random) however, none of those things is a microtransaction per se, so it wouldn't fall under this new provision.

You can purchase gems and gamble them by opening a chest instead of using a key. If the extra step of putchasing virtual currency and then gambling it is the action that allows you to subvert this new rule then every game will make that change and the gambling will continue. I do not believe it will be that simple.

Any game that allows you to spend virtual currency for a chance to obtain one item from a pool of rewards will likely fall under the new provision.

-Haze

inVoh
"Flawless" Mastery Member

Postby inVoh » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:53 pm

Apps offering “loot boxes” or other mechanisms that provide randomized virtual items for purchase must disclose the odds of receiving each type of item to customers prior to purchase.

Is the new rule added in the latest App Store Guidelines. It's unclear whether or not it affects items that are purchased by proxy (like using money to buy gems to buy loot boxes).

Shiroe
"Legendary" Mastery Member

Postby Shiroe » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:20 am

I think I read that some company loopholed similar Chinese loot box rules by switching from
real money -> loot box
to
real money -> in game currency + free loot box
So depending on how it's worded/specified, chest-openings not being at the in-game Store could maybe already avoid those rules... :|
as of 2016-09-11: Player level: 44, City: Eolythes, Blueprints: 517, Mastered: 419, Crafted: 78.61K
(except for tier 1 and some tier 2 artifacts mostly running my shop/gearing self sufficient)

Caelyn

Postby Caelyn » Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:29 am

Shiroe wrote:I think I read that some company loopholed similar Chinese loot box rules by switching from
real money -> loot box
to
real money -> in game currency + free loot box
So depending on how it's worded/specified, chest-openings not being at the in-game Store could maybe already avoid those rules... :|

They could, for example, make chests only give blueprint fragments.
To be honest, I don't see what the big deal is, why wouldn't they disclose chest odds?

Also, chests not being bought directly with money doesn't matter, Apple clearly states when the guidelines only apply to in-app purchases.

"Apps offering “loot boxes” or other mechanisms that provide randomized virtual items for purchase must disclose the odds of receiving each type of item to customers prior to purchase."
VS
"Apps should not directly or indirectly enable gifting of in-app purchase content, features, or consumable items to others."
AND "Any credits or in-game currencies purchased via in-app purchase may not expire, and you should make sure you have a restore mechanism for any restorable in-app purchases."

And just to prevent future complaints and also not directed at anyone specific: 5% doesn't guarantee you'll get something in 20 tries ;)

Lionstar

Postby Lionstar » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:31 pm

The person who coded the "original" shop heroes doesn't work for them anymore... No one knows what the odds are. Not even them. It will forever be a mystery. :idea:

cc_Darkis
Cloudcade Staff

Postby cc_Darkis » Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:18 pm

Lionstar wrote:The person who coded the "original" shop heroes doesn't work for them anymore... No one knows what the odds are. Not even them. It will forever be a mystery. :idea:

Sorry but I hope that's a joke post. I'll assume as much :lol:
"Cauldron is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."~river#44249 :D
"Gems of Shop Heroes are like diamonds of real life."~Prometheus :o

Shiroe
"Legendary" Mastery Member

Postby Shiroe » Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:04 am

cc_Darkis wrote:
Lionstar wrote:The person who coded the "original" shop heroes doesn't work for them anymore... No one knows what the odds are. Not even them. It will forever be a mystery. :idea:

It must be. At leaving a company, a person erasing all chest RNG source code, including all backups, yet still leaving a compiled version of the code to be included in future updates is highly unlikely. :P
Kind of miss the hobbits (and the hamster), but their current game just isn't my thing...
as of 2016-09-11: Player level: 44, City: Eolythes, Blueprints: 517, Mastered: 419, Crafted: 78.61K
(except for tier 1 and some tier 2 artifacts mostly running my shop/gearing self sufficient)

Lionstar

Postby Lionstar » Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:20 am

cc_Darkis wrote:

It is a joke. A little bittersweet one though.

Return to “General Discussion”