Packs on Holidays no longer a thing?

Discuss anything related to Shop Heroes gameplay.
peteypie99
"Good" Mastery Member

Packs on Holidays no longer a thing?

Postby peteypie99 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:17 am

So I was bummed that I couldn't get my Hollow/Spooky stuff during Halloween, and now it's looking like the X-Mas pack will likely not get run out again?

I know we can contact customer care to spot-buy packs with gems, but 1. I thought that customer care has a huge backlog of requests still and 2. it takes away from the special part of a game - adapting to seasons/holidays... like the weather effects of other games, 3. New players will not experience the hype of seasonal packs.

Do we know if they're ever going to rotate the seasonal packs again? If not, wouldn't it be smart to make the gems-for-packs thing a bit more structured and less of a work-around that's spread through word of mouth? Players not on discord/forum are severely disadvantaged in this regard.

Also... gem lady... they should've just not even mentioned her in the patch notes... or at least give some transparency/updates as to the progress of her 'kinks' other than "soon" which we're a bit tired of... the ingame economy is just so out of whack now.

Lionstar
"Flawless" Mastery Member

Re: Packs on Holidays no longer a thing?

Postby Lionstar » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:14 pm

The game is in maintenance mode for the last year... I would not expect anything to change in foreseeable future.

Shiroe
"Legendary" Mastery Member

Postby Shiroe » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:59 am

Well, packs are likely still tied to the update cycle, including their start and end dates likely hardcoded into the client, so if a new update isn't yet ready soon before a new season, that leaves them with all bad options:
- delay the update, so no packs for that season
- rush the update to get the packs out, risking (more) bugs
- re-release the previous update with nothing more than the packs added/changed

tl;dr they really should have server-side set package start/end dates and maybe in-app package asset updates if they don't want to/can't add those to the client months in advance...
as of 2016-09-11: Player level: 44, City: Eolythes, Blueprints: 517, Mastered: 419, Crafted: 78.61K
(except for tier 1 and some tier 2 artifacts mostly running my shop/gearing self sufficient)

peteypie99
"Good" Mastery Member

Postby peteypie99 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:08 pm

Can't they push out an update with no new real content to keep the cycle going? or are there ramifications to that?

Shiroe
"Legendary" Mastery Member

Postby Shiroe » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:01 am

peteypie99 wrote:Can't they push out an update with no new real content to keep the cycle going? or are there ramifications to that?

I guess they could, but:
- people would probably complain about them being greedy for releasing an update just for packs. ;)
- the update would still have to go through the stores approval process, which can probably still take up to 2 weeks for non-hotfix updates [1] (if they have an actual content update in the works, it could perhaps be the case that such a second update might not get to enter the store approval queue before the previous one exits it; not that we'd really notice a 2 week delay in content... ;-| )

I'm sure if they had today's knowledge at the start, they would never have gone for the "quick and easy to code" route of tying the pack updates into the app update cycle... :|

[1] this means that if there is to be an xmas update (the current packs end on the 21th) , it was probably submitted to the stores' approval queue last week-ish and Darkis is keeping quiet until the app has the OK from the stores to prevent "oops, approval was denied and now the fixed update is back at the end of the queue again" disappointment.
as of 2016-09-11: Player level: 44, City: Eolythes, Blueprints: 517, Mastered: 419, Crafted: 78.61K
(except for tier 1 and some tier 2 artifacts mostly running my shop/gearing self sufficient)

alanx
"Flawless" Mastery Member

Postby alanx » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:59 am

Looks like they’re no longer a thing

Return to “General Discussion”