Why I wont be spending any more money on SH

Discuss anything related to Shop Heroes gameplay.
Dastardlyone

Re: Why I wont be spending any more money on SH

Postby Dastardlyone » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:32 am

inVoh wrote:I'm still spending $$$ on packs, but that is because I believe that is the business model you should be pushing.

I have raised this point before. Cloudcade should either be looking to make money from packs OR gems. If someone is buying every pack that you sell, they are paying as much as an MMO subscription, and yet it doesn't feel enough. You need to get gems aswell. I think a lot of people see this and stop purchasing packs.

Here is some business advice. If a customer is prepared to give you £15 a month, Take the £15 a month. Don't Enchantment it all up by asking for another £2 every time they want to use the bathroom.

I was a veritable In game ADVERT for you guys. Always reccomending city mates/strangers in chat purchase giant pack or wizard pack. Saying I had them, and it's good to support the devs.

Supporting the devs so they can make updates to the game. (you lost me on this one)

I also miss the good old days where gold had value and could be traded for gems. Without this...theres no point crafting items.

Final point; I used to tell people you could enjoy the game f2p, it was free, and you weren't forced to spend any cash. Like many games of this ilk, you are persuaded to make a purchase & rewarded for it, But one could also make slow and steady progress just by playing the game.

You can still make progress I guess...but it's only a matter of time before every new player hits a big nasty wall. They realise; I need 4 fusion slots...i need higher gear for questing, I need to unlock chests for bps. Suddenly the shopping list is costing well over 20,000 gems.

Can they get them? How much are you charging for the pleasure?

Tkshowers
"Good" Mastery Member

Postby Tkshowers » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:59 am

Alright so I broke and renewed my fountain...full disclosue :D still feel the same on packs and big gem purchases.

Tkshowers
"Good" Mastery Member

Postby Tkshowers » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:04 pm

Darkis, I know Tethys said no packs before the new year, but really hoping you have some update news in the next couple of days that will open my wallet! Also, stop the exodus of city mates out of the game. Happy New Year!

ShelixAnakasian

Postby ShelixAnakasian » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:33 am

Interesting read -

As a relatively new player struggling towards L40 and unable to buy keys or do much with gems, the "circle the drain" vibe is definitely present.

I'm working on Balmungs, which I suppose could sell for gems, but by the time I have enough for my own teams, I'll probably be on to something better.

Keep in mind that this *was* the required destination of Cloudcade. If they didn't think they needed to extreme-version monetize this game and add some nickel and diming at every opportunity, they would still be called Edgebee, and we'd be playing Swords and Potions 2 or Swords and Potions 3.

Shiroe
"Legendary" Mastery Member

Postby Shiroe » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:09 am

ShelixAnakasian wrote:unable to buy keys

That has been the case for most of the game's lifetime.
- the start: keys only available on roulette and probably already on 6-hero quest parties? (or it could be that that didn't happen until the current quest system?), so traded keys were so rare they only were used to flip between gold and gems and were priced above the non-key chest open price
- a batch of special orders were added, with keys from wooden to magic (last one) and newbies started to trade some of those away to get gold, so lower keys started dropping a bit below chest open price
- raids got added, adding keys up to golden, since late game players were now getting keys for chests they had completed, gem prices for wooden and leather started dropping. Since you now had the "late game players with too much gold", the "newbies wanting to turn some of their gems/keys into gold" and the "oh, opening wooden/leather chests with keys is now much cheaper than without a key" groups, we ended up with mass key flipping for gold<->gem conversion, shifting through the key types as gem:gold inflation kept rising and the lower key types bumped into the gold price caps of 10x base price, reaching the point were selling them for gold would be inefficient for anyone.
- a few extra special orders were added, providing some more magic keys and a dwarvish one.
- as the key flip pyramid was already collapsing, Cloudcade implemented "newbie, you shall not sell keys until you've opened a certain number of chests" rules, finishing it further off. (probably to slow down the aquiring of large amounts of gold by newbies, though if it prevents lvl 45 players whose only chest BPs are from the inn because they sold off all their keys, I personally don't mind that restriction)

So for most of the game's lifetime, the vast majority of iron and up chest openings have been using gems, not keys.
And yes it's annoying that that means getting all those chest blueprints mostly depends on either buying gems or getting other people's gems through the tradehouse... :|
as of 2016-09-11: Player level: 44, City: Eolythes, Blueprints: 517, Mastered: 419, Crafted: 78.61K
(except for tier 1 and some tier 2 artifacts mostly running my shop/gearing self sufficient)

peteypie99

Postby peteypie99 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:56 am

So this week, 4 of our top players have been MIA for the past 3 days and are missing raid this week on account of the stagnation with development. One player, our former mayor said, "the game feels more like a daily chore/obligation than recreation now"

Some of our midlevel players are city chatting about the aforementioned "circle the drain" feeling and that they have been patiently waiting the gem lady's return as a catch up mechanic but have pretty much resigned themselves to thinking that we're all being strung along and it's going to be like 6 months before anything happens. They bristle at having to PvP against individuals who've enjoyed the gem lady feature for months and months and are consistently outgeared as a result.

As a city, I think we're all done with the "soons", "ducks in a row", and "we'll look into that's". There's little transparency as to timetable for updates and changes, so our faith as a city is all but depleted. I'm sure many are still buying packs and then feeling badly about it. Many are still buying because of the sunk costs of time and money already invested in their shops.

For 2018, I'd love to spend money on the game if devs: were specific (even a time range) about aspects of the game, were consistent regarding when and how they communicate, were transparent with where the game is going. I don't think this will happen, which makes me sad. I'm going to keep playing in case I'm wrong, but yeah, pumping the brakes on spending money still.

Shiroe

Postby Shiroe » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:16 am

peteypie99 wrote:They bristle at having to PvP against individuals who've enjoyed the gem lady feature for months and months and are consistently outgeared as a result.

But shouldn't they then be consistenly outgearing the PC-only players who never had the gem lady to begin with?
And would they be satisfied with 10 videos (so 20 gems total) per day? Since that's what Darkis seemed to imply to have always been the intended amount...
as of 2016-09-11: Player level: 44, City: Eolythes, Blueprints: 517, Mastered: 419, Crafted: 78.61K
(except for tier 1 and some tier 2 artifacts mostly running my shop/gearing self sufficient)

peteypie99

Postby peteypie99 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:48 am

Shiroe wrote:
peteypie99 wrote:They bristle at having to PvP against individuals who've enjoyed the gem lady feature for months and months and are consistently outgeared as a result.

But shouldn't they then be consistenly outgearing the PC-only players who never had the gem lady to begin with?
And would they be satisfied with 10 videos (so 20 gems total) per day? Since that's what Darkis seemed to imply to have always been the intended amount...

Not the ones who have been playing for six months more than they have. I understand the Chinese region had a catch-up mechanic involved in purchasing things but for the newer players who are mid-level in the states there is no way to catch up without spending a fortune because of the benefit of time. Obviously it shouldn't be the case where things are equalized but at this rate they know they will never ever catch up with mid to top tier players. Regardless this part of my reply is just one of the myriad things happening that aren't getting addressed.

Ronin
"Great" Mastery Member

Postby Ronin » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:05 am

Shiroe wrote:

So for most of the game's lifetime, the vast majority of iron and up chest openings have been using gems, not keys.
And yes it's annoying that that means getting all those chest blueprints mostly depends on either buying gems or getting other people's gems through the tradehouse... :|

Are we sure he intends "unable to buy keys [for gold]"?

I wonder if he perhaps meant that keys are not yet visible to him on TH, so he has to pay more (+400% for wood, +250% for leather, +40% for iron, +10% for gold) to unlock chests.

Shiroe

Postby Shiroe » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:23 am

Ronin wrote:
Shiroe wrote:

Are we sure he intends "unable to buy keys [for gold]"?

I wonder if he perhaps meant that keys are not yet visible to him on TH, so he has to pay more (+400% for wood, +250% for leather, +40% for iron, +10% for gold) to unlock chests.

It is annoying to explain the quirky TH keys - "chests opened" system. No idea why in addition to blocking putting up key offers and filling key requests, they also blocked buying from offers and only left open putting up key requests...

Return to “General Discussion”