Magic Chest Mystery

Discuss anything related to Shop Heroes gameplay.
darkbake

Magic Chest Mystery

Postby darkbake » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:08 pm

What is going on with magic chest prices in the market? I use them to convert gems to gold.

At first, people were requesting them for 25 million gold and offering them for 10 gems. The ratio of gems to gold was 2.5 million per gem. Then it went to 25 million / 13 gems, then 24 gems / 48-50 million, and now they are offering for 35 gems for a 68 million

It seems like the natural ratio is 2.5 million per gem, but a powerful city might be trying to use a monopoly of magic chests to push the price down to 2 million per gem. They could be converting gold to gems.

What do people think?

Kim!
"Flawless" Mastery Member

Re: Magic Chest Mystery

Postby Kim! » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:26 pm

I think they did a trade house cleanup in the 4rd of July update, where they remove everything and put offers/requests back in their proper place in the queue as we log in. My guess is that that killed the big buffer of dead offers that kept prices stable and opened the floodgates for it to jump like crazy.

Anyway, just a theory, but that's my best guess. The number of key offers/requests also dropped considerably a couple weeks ago.

alanx

Postby alanx » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:10 am

Yeah but even when such a thing happens as people log back in, those dead offers get revived and set in the place they used to be so basically the market will recover in a day back to the way it was.

failedzys

Postby failedzys » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:32 am

because SH put on sales on Chinese APP Store.
There are too many people join the chat group in QQ/Wechat about the game.
i think the logic is here:
people swarmed into the game -> they found they are lack of gold -> part of the people recharge gems -> they change their gems into gold by selling magic chest -> magic chest start to raise the price in gems -> magic chest worth more -> gold price raise but the margin is smaller since there aren't so much gold in the market

Shiroe
"Legendary" Mastery Member

Postby Shiroe » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:10 am

failedzys wrote:because SH put on sales on Chinese APP Store.
There are too many people join the chat group in QQ/Wechat about the game.
i think the logic is here:
people swarmed into the game -> they found they are lack of gold -> part of the people recharge gems -> they change their gems into gold by selling magic chest -> magic chest start to raise the price in gems -> magic chest worth more -> gold price raise but the margin is smaller since there aren't so much gold in the market

Well, there's probably near infinite gold in the market; it just might be that some of those sitting on tens of Gs of gold might have been speculating with it to drive up prices. (things like chests, keys and artifacts like Aragonite and Hellfire Ruby (which also went up in price) aren't restricted by storage space, so perfect to speculate with)

Maybe for magic chests, we should all just start grinding the first tier 3 quest to restock the supply... ;-P
as of 2016-09-11: Player level: 44, City: Eolythes, Blueprints: 517, Mastered: 419, Crafted: 78.61K
(except for tier 1 and some tier 2 artifacts mostly running my shop/gearing self sufficient)

internetz
"Great" Mastery Member

Postby internetz » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:55 am

darkbake wrote:What is going on with magic chest prices in the market? I use them to convert gems to gold.

At first, people were requesting them for 25 million gold and offering them for 10 gems. The ratio of gems to gold was 2.5 million per gem. Then it went to 25 million / 13 gems, then 24 gems / 48-50 million, and now they are offering for 35 gems for a 68 million

It seems like the natural ratio is 2.5 million per gem, but a powerful city might be trying to use a monopoly of magic chests to push the price down to 2 million per gem. They could be converting gold to gems.

What do people think?

of course people convert gold to gems with magic chests... who did you think was buying your magic chests when you sell them for gold?
there's almost no gold sinks at the high levels other than city invest / castle boosting, but there are also no good sources of non-tradehouse gems, so players who can make a ton of gold sell it to newer players for gems. You may only be getting 2m per gem now, but in the past, the ratio used to be much lower (think 250k-1M per gem). It also costs a player going from gold to gems about 3.8M per gem, due to the way that taxes are calculated on the tradehouse.

Shiroe
"Legendary" Mastery Member

Postby Shiroe » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:05 am

internetz wrote:You may only be getting 2m per gem now, but in the past, the ratio used to be much lower (think 250k-1M per gem).

Around global launch in september/october 2015, I think it was still around 30-35K gold per gem. So at 2M, that's still something like a 50 fold increase in less than 2 years.

I wonder how high it will go once these new chinese players reach the point of switching over to gold->gem flipping... 5M per gem? 10M?
It looks like magic chest hit its gold cap of 100M (90M post tax), so I guess it's reasonable to expect it to remain there, while gem price will likely slowly go back down to previous levels as the value of gems goes up)
as of 2016-09-11: Player level: 44, City: Eolythes, Blueprints: 517, Mastered: 419, Crafted: 78.61K
(except for tier 1 and some tier 2 artifacts mostly running my shop/gearing self sufficient)

aks47u

Postby aks47u » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:28 am

The problem with magic chest prices is the vast majority of you. Most of you converting gold to gems are using these, find something else to convert with. There are much much better rates available that are consistent if you just look a little.
Also the app launching in China bringing in more players, more players, more demand (with limited supply), higher prices.

Return to “General Discussion”