Chests are absolute cancer.

Discuss anything related to Shop Heroes gameplay.
Imasock

Chests are absolute cancer.

Postby Imasock » Wed May 10, 2017 3:52 pm

The way chests function in this game is absurd.

500 gems to open a box containing 8 artifacts over. And over. And over...

I thought there was a "rebalancing" of chest loot? I could go to the trade house and buy 250 of an artifact for 500 gems, not that I would because that's just as asinine as chests are, but I think it shows how jacked up the contents of chests are. The blueprints contained in chests are literally the only motivation for anyone to bother opening chests at all, because absolutely everything else can be bought for less than 10% of what you will get in it (please don't bother with "legs and myths come from chests too!" garbage, because it happens so infrequently it needs a 100%+ buff on chests already to even make a difference, which still makes no difference).

Can't there be something actually worthwhile contained in a chest? 10k gems for a single blueprint when there's 50+ in ONE type of chest is bonkers. And you wonder why people are leaving this game...
Last edited by Imasock on Wed May 10, 2017 3:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cc_Darkis
Cloudcade Staff

Re: Chests are absolute cancer.

Postby cc_Darkis » Wed May 10, 2017 4:42 pm

Hey there Imasock,

Just sent off your feedback included with what I've seen on the recent changes to the chest. Thanks for this and I'm sure we can make it better overall. I don't see why not.

If others would like to chime in, please feel free folks!
"Cauldron is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."~river#44249 :D
"Gems of Shop Heroes are like diamonds of real life."~Prometheus :o

Imasock

Postby Imasock » Wed May 10, 2017 5:26 pm

I understand that blueprints are not supposed to flow out from chests every roll, but even if you went with the generous estimate of one blueprint in every 3 chests, that's 54x 1500 = 81,000 gems ($447 at bulk cost). That's _just_ to get the 54 blueprints for magic chests.

My personal goal for this game was to get and master as many prints as I can, because I like collecting things, but I'm not even 10 prints into golden chests and I've been playing for nearly a year. I haven't even started magic, dwarven, or primals, and those are 2x and 3x more expensive than golden chests I end up opening. Keys are nonexistent from quests, basically.

People already complain about even getting skills on items activated because many of the P2W packs have them at legendary and mythical, but half the battle is over at that point because at least you can guarantee getting the item with your $. With blueprints in chests, you have to fight to even _get_ the item first off, THEN craft it after. I know there are prints I'll never get because there are so many prints and the chests cost so much to open that it'll simply never happen. If I do end up with a print, surprise, it's not the one I want out of the 54 possible.

But here's the real kicker - say I DO get one of those legendary or mythical items from a chest. LAWL. I can't use it to its full potential because I don't have the blueprint to activate the skill! Isn't that convenient?

Chests serve no purpose other than a randomized content block for blueprints. They aren't fun to open, they aren't cost effective, they are 99% never worth opening, but they are required to activate skills on items.

I don't really know how to make it better. I wish I had suggestions.

Edit - I usually don't like to complain without providing an alternative or something (because I feel that's just pointing fingers), but I just can't come up with anything that seems reasonable.

Kim!
"Good" Mastery Member

Postby Kim! » Wed May 10, 2017 5:45 pm

There has to be something bad in chests, if most gave items that were break even with the opening cost or close to it then I feel like it'd break the game? Say it takes 500 gems to open a chest and everything you get goes for 400-600 gems, then for any non-bp you got it'd be fast to flip it on trade and try again. So having things in there that are nowhere near the value to open another makes a bit of sense, especially since blueprints are so powerful.

That said I really wish they couldn't drop quest mats, or that they would give a much larger number. 40 quest mats is a rare drop, I've gotten it maybe once or twice? But I feel like it'd sting a lot less if 40-50 mats was the norm rather than the usual 8-12. 8 quest mats is useless, I can get double or triple that from one quest run - getting a larger number still wouldn't be worth the 500 gem opening cost but at least it wouldn't feel like the box was empty. :(
Last edited by Kim! on Wed May 10, 2017 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

inVoh
"Great" Mastery Member

Postby inVoh » Wed May 10, 2017 5:46 pm

Completing and collecting all recipes is the endgame. Only a few players have accomplished that. I feel it wouldn't have hurt to add a Magic Key to the lvl 25-30 raid rewards. When the new raid tiers came out everyone was surprised with how lackluster the new rewards were.

If people didn't think each recipe was worth 4k-5k gems they wouldn't be opening chests. However collecting recipes is the #1 gem sink in the game so of course the cost is going to be staggering.

Imasock

Postby Imasock » Wed May 10, 2017 5:56 pm

Kim! wrote:There has to be something bad in chests, if most gave items that were break even with the opening cost or close to it then I feel like it'd break the game? Say it takes 500 gems to open a chest and everything you get goes for 400-600 gems, then for any non-bp you got it'd be fast to flip it on trade and try again. So having things in there that are nowhere near the value to open another makes a bit of sense, especially since blueprints are so powerful.

That said I really wish they couldn't drop quest mats, or that they would give a much larger number. 40 quest mats is a rare drop, I've gotten it maybe once or twice? But I feel like it'd sting a lot less if 40-50 mats was the norm rather than the usual 8-12. 8 quest mats is useless, I can get double or triple that from one quest run - getting a larger number still wouldn't be worth the 500 gem opening cost but at least it wouldn't feel like the box was empty. :(

I do agree, chests can't always contain great stuff, but really? 8 artifacts? I can buy that for 1-2 gems worth of gold. I know they can't all be great items, but it just seems really off. It's really disengaging when I see 10 chests in a row with artifacts or flawless stuff I can poop out of my crafting bar in 20 minutes. I'm not very motivated to continue knowing that some of my city mates have opened hundreds and still don't even have half the prints out of a single chest type.

"End Game" would be fine if they were regularly obtainable, but it's entirely RNG. End game shouldn't be RNG =/

Kim!
"Good" Mastery Member

Postby Kim! » Wed May 10, 2017 6:03 pm

"End Game" would be fine if they were regularly obtainable, but it's entirely RNG. End game shouldn't be RNG =/

Well, we could also farm fragments, should only take a couple years to get them all that way :)

Niexist

Postby Niexist » Wed May 10, 2017 6:13 pm

I agree, having a gag prize like materials really sucks. At least give us a blueprint fragment as a gag prize as that at least contributes to overall progress. I'd also like to know the total gems spent, and chests of each type we've opened Dakris.

VeNoM0619
"Good" Mastery Member

Postby VeNoM0619 » Wed May 10, 2017 6:26 pm

Unfortunately, it takes forever to get to opening chests (buying fusion slots/upgrading craft-trade slots etc. delay you), and by the time you do, you don't need most of the recipes. That is true.

However, there a few counterpoints I would like to make in regards to the chest odds:
They are attempting to make each bp cost 4-5k (? why not) gems. So removing all the "bad" loot is fine, and guaranteeing a bp in a chest is doable.... HOWEVER this means they will then have to balance everything (too late?) again, because if each chest was a guarantee bp, then each chest should now cost 4-5k gems to open. But also the key rates would have to drop from 1% to 0.1%, and basically remove keys from the game (assuming they wanted to keep the same rarity on bps... which I sort of disagree with, wood->gold should be easy, magic+ should stay the same imo)

It took me a few months to start opening wood, and by then, my heroes already out leveled them. + When I did start unlocking bps, that's when I really felt the game started to pick up on strategy. Finally, abilities and planning gear for my teams, not just "match the item level to the hero". I felt like the game doubled in content after unlocking everything up to gold.

ALSO, artifacts in the final tiers of chests "ARE GOOD" simply because the rubies/argonites are not questable (the shards/horns used to not be). This was essentially the only way to obtain them, or buy them at super high prices, and if you couldn't get them from a chest... well... look at those gold key prices, nobody can trade/buy them without gems or 6+ months of waiting.

I am not defending the way chests are designed, I hate them as well, and I totally agree they should be altered in some way, maybe give fragments instead of artifacts (but they would need to make fragments desirable, which they currently aren't)... I don't know, but I don't see everyone in full support of any of the proposed changes I've seen on this system sadly...

Kim!
"Good" Mastery Member

Postby Kim! » Wed May 10, 2017 7:11 pm

Unfortunately, it takes forever to get to opening chests (buying fusion slots/upgrading craft-trade slots etc. delay you), and by the time you do, you don't need most of the recipes. That is true.

Those blueprints continue to hold value throughout the game. Some are useless but quite a few are still helpful at end game. Like this is my Alicia, she's a level 51 but still wears noble plate (level 18), lion boots (level 12), moon gauntlets (level 10), paladin helm (level 19), and protector (level 8). A majority of my heroes have a couple pieces of gear from wood-iron chests, despite being in end game builds. Sure, there's a couple bps I'll never use, but just because your heroes level up doesn't mean you stop using low level blueprints. It takes a while for new players to realize what item skills are and how powerful they are, but once that clicks even the lowest level items get a new life.

Return to “General Discussion”