Overall, still enjoy PVP. Much as there is a vocal group opposing it, there are clearly hundreds of regular players active in Arena
A few suggestions:
- Eliminate gemming: I know it makes you guys money, but it also allows people to cash up the ranks, which defeats the purpose.
- Eliminate pay-through battles: Same problem, allows players to cherry-pick easy opponents. The whole point of PVP is to find a strategic way to beat the opponent's line up. Let that be the only measure.
- There is always going to be a disadvantage for the player who isn't active in the battle. This forces a lot of players to put up these gimmick teams as their static team. As mentioned in my previous post, this is leading to a proliferation of gimmick teams, which is ultimately going to lead to a lot of coin flip battles. I genuinely think this is going to hurt PVP in the long run.
- The penalty for lost battles while a player is away leads to a lot neutral movement in the ranks - you lose 7 battles while away, you win 7 battles when you are active, you get nowhere. This is made more true when players are just paying gold to get to specific idle teams that they know they can score easy points from. This is going to discourage a lot of players, and is contributing to a lot of the 'pointlessness' that people complain about.
- A really quick tutorial on how certain abilities counter others would probably lead to greater participation. Ex Show a heads-up instance of how, for example, purify can counter a repel magic attack from the other team, and how this can actually turn the opponent's attack into a positive for you, and increase your battle strength. I genuinely think if players better understood at least the basic dynamics of attack/parry, they'd get more out of the arena time. It will also help to dispel the widespread idea that PVP only serves the most highly ranked/richest players in the game, because that is absolutely not the case. You need to show that pretty much any Goliath can be beaten with the right abilities in place, regardless of gear strength.
- Gear boosts like that from Epic Oracle's Armor (as an example) should translate to arena power as well as questing power. I don't spend a ton of gems just to outfit myth gear on my arena npcs. I doubt many mid-level players do either. Small buffs in strength without having to resort to myth gear will help mid-game players fight on a more level field.
- Pretty certain you guys have nerfed the Red Bag rewards in the last 2 months. I was getting at least a few decent 50+ epics (and the occasional Leg) per season, and that has fallen right off. Stop it.