Sewers fragment farming test

Discuss anything related to Shop Heroes gameplay.
Retep
"Great" Mastery Member

Re: Sewers fragment farming test

Postby Retep » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:55 pm

I opened the 34 bags I got. I got artifacts 14 times, items 18 times and 2 bp fragments.

Ronin
"Great" Mastery Member

Postby Ronin » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:44 pm

yingying wrote:I'm seriously impressed someone would spend so much time on sewer quests. It's an interesting experiment though.
If I read correctly, you spent 10 hours to get 13 fragments? That's just... wow. I know you don't have to watch it every second for 10 hours, but logging in every 5 minutes, wait for the quest success screen, wait for the loot selection screen, hand-select your 5-6 teams to quest again... You pretty much cannot do much else in these 10 hours.

I did a little math to see if it's "worth it" to farm fragments, using gold chests (that's what I'm working on):
- lowest gold bp require 39 frags, so 13 frag <= 1/3 of a gold bp
- current trade house price is 220 gems for a gold key and 6 gems for a gold chest, let's just say roughly 230 gems need to open once.
- From my personal experience, I need to open less than 30 gold chests to get one bp. Of course, there might be some valuable gears I get which I can sell to get some gems back, but let's forget about it for the moment
- so, 1/3 of a gold bp = 230 * 30 /3 = 2300 gems value
- If you buy 2 Bags of Gems, that's exactly 2300 gems, for 13.99 x 2 CAD, add in tax, that's about 32 CAD

Seriously, 10 hours work for $32 of value... That's less than what you get with 3 hours minimal wage, so why not just get a part-time job. I wouldn't recommend this "farming" approach to anyone unless CC introduce an "auto-quest" feature in the future :?

I tend to use 7.5% bp find rate for iron/gold chests in my calculations, which puts the value of frags at somewhere between 55-65 gems each for early iron/gold bps.

If your chance of getting a fragment is 2.5%, then each run is worth approximately 1.4-1.6 gems worth of fragments. We could factor in an injury reduction of approximately 3% (say the 10% chance of injury and the 30% no loot on injury stats), but we also haven't attempted to factor in the chance for gems or the chance of a bag that may also contain blueprints.

At that rate, I can't think of anything a low lvl player could be doing with their heroes or attention that would be more profitable overall, though it's an investment that they can't really cash in until they've fully unlocked wood/leather bps.

Ronin
"Great" Mastery Member

Postby Ronin » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:40 pm

yingying wrote:I do enjoy reading your results and I consider it's a fun experiment. It's tedious and the money/life wasted ratio is horrible, but someone has to make the sacrifice to entertain us I guess :lol:

Yeah actually I think my chance on gold bp is better than 1 in 30 chests. Possibly something around 1 in 15-20 chests. But I don't want anyone to challenge my calculation by saying "you are too optimistic with the bp rate", so let's just pick a worse number. If we use 20 chests in the calculation, it's about 20 CAD for the "value" of all these grinding.

At the same time, if we're going to use a money/life waste ratio, it's probably unfair to use the 10 hour figure, considering it takes say a minute of our time to collect quests and relaunch our full hero roster.

Scenario 1: active grinding mixed with passive playing (or tv watching, whatever)
6x4 energetic teams with boost active (though not actively boosting) and ignoring any SR, we're looking at 3.75 minute increments for a total of 96 runs over 16 cycles in an hour, netting a expected 2.4 fragments for 16 minutes of grind and 44ish minutes of passive time where you could be doing other aspects of the game or just like watching tv.

Scenario 2: full-time grind
Add in 2 inn boosts, bringing run-time to slightly under 1 minute. 15 minutes of very active grinding there equates to 90 runs yields an expected 2.25 frags at the cost of 100M gold.

In either case, the minimum wage part-time job doesn't compare favorably, especially if we're grinding while at work. ;)

Kim!
"Good" Mastery Member

Postby Kim! » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:44 pm

At that rate, I can't think of anything a low lvl player could be doing with their heroes or attention that would be more profitable overall, though it's an investment that they can't really cash in until they've fully unlocked wood/leather bps.

Very low levels wouldn't be able to find fragments, you need to send at least 4 heroes for them to be an option. I forget which hero level that unlocks at but I believe it's 20 or 25? I dunno. Ignoring that, higher level quests would let their heroes level up easier, they need to collect other quest materials for crafting, and selling quest materials on trade is very profitable for someone who's just starting off. Maybe around mid-game it'd be a good strategy but I don't see it working well at low levels. :P

Feone
"Flawless" Mastery Member

Postby Feone » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:31 pm

Ouch,
So 15 fragments for 10 hours of play time. Let's be generous and say you can obtain 20 in that time with roulette, pvp bags and a bit of luck added.

Unlocking all recipes takes 16207 fragments. So assuming you just spam the shiny gems quest all the time:
A casual player (about an hour a day) would require 8000 days or about 22 years.
A more serious player (5 hours a day) would need about 4-5 years. (And some recovery time in a mental hospital after doing that 5 hours a day for 5 years.)

On the bright side after all the years of gathering shiny gems you're probably like at least half way through fusing all the mythics to deck out your heroes.

It really sucks that Cloudcade has been moving towards making gems unavailable outside of buying them, if they keep following through on that playing this game really will just be a choice between spending two decades grinding a quest or paying several thousand dollars to unlock stuff.

River
"Good" Mastery Member

Postby River » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:11 am

I tremble when I see these posts. :P
I think.. now a CC member take a look at the post and realizes: "hey! A-L-L the players earn 1,5 frags per hour! it's nerf time!" :lol:
joking apart, thanks Retep.

Ronin
"Great" Mastery Member

Postby Ronin » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:30 pm

Kim! wrote:

Very low levels wouldn't be able to find fragments, you need to send at least 4 heroes for them to be an option. I forget which hero level that unlocks at but I believe it's 20 or 25? I dunno. Ignoring that, higher level quests would let their heroes level up easier, they need to collect other quest materials for crafting, and selling quest materials on trade is very profitable for someone who's just starting off. Maybe around mid-game it'd be a good strategy but I don't see it working well at low levels. :P

It's been a year since I've had heroes that low lvl, but I believe it's lvl 20. A savvy new player who has extensively reviewed the forum (and thus found this thread) could have lvl 20 heroes after only 3-4 hours of playing.

Selling the most valuable $$$/quest time resource you are able to farm is definitely a good play for low levels (which can then buy cheaper $$$/quest time resources to meet crafting needs) and one I would also recommend to the extent it is needed to fuel early growth. Looking at total value though, early-game and mid-game player couldn't farm enough gold worth of crafting mats per hour to meet the gem-equivalent value of fragments.

bloop
"Epic" Mastery Member

Postby bloop » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:07 pm

thank you for the data, retep

Abqu
"Epic" Mastery Member

Postby Abqu » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:14 am

thx for painting fences for us, Retep

yingying
"Great" Mastery Member

Postby yingying » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:28 pm

Ronin wrote:At the same time, if we're going to use a money/life waste ratio, it's probably unfair to use the 10 hour figure, considering it takes say a minute of our time to collect quests and relaunch our full hero roster.

Scenario 1: active grinding mixed with passive playing (or tv watching, whatever)
6x4 energetic teams with boost active (though not actively boosting) and ignoring any SR, we're looking at 3.75 minute increments for a total of 96 runs over 16 cycles in an hour, netting a expected 2.4 fragments for 16 minutes of grind and 44ish minutes of passive time where you could be doing other aspects of the game or just like watching tv.

Scenario 2: full-time grind
Add in 2 inn boosts, bringing run-time to slightly under 1 minute. 15 minutes of very active grinding there equates to 90 runs yields an expected 2.25 frags at the cost of 100M gold.

In either case, the minimum wage part-time job doesn't compare favorably, especially if we're grinding while at work. ;)

As I mentioned in my first reply, I do realize you don't need 10 straight hours for this grinding, more like about 1 minute every 5 minutes. However, with such a frequent interruption, you pretty much cannot do anything serious during the grinding time. You mentioned grinding at work, but I cannot think of any job that would give you chance to open up a game every 5 minutes. Maybe a government job? :lol: Same with the watching TV example. If you have to tend your game every 5 minutes, how can you enjoy your TV show? Or maybe it's not enjoyable to begin with, when why are you still watching.

Anyway, the point of my first reply is simply putting this grinding thing into another perspective. In addition to time vs. bp fragments obtained, player should also try thinking about time vs. money "earned". The calculations are estimations based on my personal experience and the numbers presented by OP. Anyone can freely adjust them and evaluate if it's worth it or not. I'm not going to argue if you firmly believe it's worth it. After all, your time, your game :P

Return to “General Discussion”