Sewers fragment farming test

Discuss anything related to Shop Heroes gameplay.
Retep
"Great" Mastery Member

Sewers fragment farming test

Postby Retep » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:24 am

So, I don't know if anyone else followed through but one of the few times I was in discord there was talk about people testing fragment farming at sewers during the next 0% break event. I decided to actually give it a go, here are my results. (let me know if the link doesn't work, I don't use dropbox much)

For those that don't want to download the data here are the highlights:
Total parties (of 4) sent out: 696
Total fragments seen (whether obtained or not): 70
Fragments actually obtained: 13 (about 2% chance of getting a fragment when sending out a party of 4, a bit below 20% chance of getting a fragment if you see one, expected would be 25%, but slightly skewed due to counting seeing 2 fragments at once as 2 individual occurrences and I got a bit unlucky near the end, but it was around 25% for most of the test)
chance of getting gold: about 68%
chance of getting an item: about 21% (of which more than half will be good and about 33% will be great quality)
chance of getting a bag: about 5%
chance of getting gems: a bit less than 1%
chance of getting keys/chests: 0% (done with parties of 4, so can't get keys, done while holding a few hundred wood chests, so couldn't get those either)
chance of an injury (with teams of 4 when way overpowered, like 30,000 power per hero for a quest that needs only 100, also I did have some revive scattered throughout the teams, so actual chance may be closer to like 10%): about 6.5%
chance of getting no drop when injured: a bit below 30%
overall chance of nothing when sending out party of 4: 2%

Notes/words of caution:
Data was entered manually, meaning it is possible I made some mistakes.
Sample size was 696, which is still relatively small (of those I only got gems 5 times for example)
sometimes I saw more than 1 fragment in the same team or more than 1 hero was injured, I just recorded these as two separate individual occurrences, which would skew some of the odds

Overall, I did get 13 fragments over about 2 days (probably about 5 hours per day, yes I may be slightly masochistic doing sewers for 5 hours a day lol), but it's kind of difficult to place a value on fragments, so it's difficult to say if it was worth it or not (maybe someone smarter than me can figure it out lol). But I will say, running sewers basically takes all your time (meaning it doesn't synergize well with shorter crafts like goddess tears or being social in city/world chat or discord or w/e), and even still there was a LOT of downtime when all 6 parties of 4 were finished just waiting for me to collect and resend, which also took a LOT of time without macros or auto party resend or anything.

yingying
"Great" Mastery Member

Re: Sewers fragment farming test

Postby yingying » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:18 am

I'm seriously impressed someone would spend so much time on sewer quests. It's an interesting experiment though.
If I read correctly, you spent 10 hours to get 13 fragments? That's just... wow. I know you don't have to watch it every second for 10 hours, but logging in every 5 minutes, wait for the quest success screen, wait for the loot selection screen, hand-select your 5-6 teams to quest again... You pretty much cannot do much else in these 10 hours.

I did a little math to see if it's "worth it" to farm fragments, using gold chests (that's what I'm working on):
- lowest gold bp require 39 frags, so 13 frag <= 1/3 of a gold bp
- current trade house price is 220 gems for a gold key and 6 gems for a gold chest, let's just say roughly 230 gems need to open once.
- From my personal experience, I need to open less than 30 gold chests to get one bp. Of course, there might be some valuable gears I get which I can sell to get some gems back, but let's forget about it for the moment
- so, 1/3 of a gold bp = 230 * 30 /3 = 2300 gems value
- If you buy 2 Bags of Gems, that's exactly 2300 gems, for 13.99 x 2 CAD, add in tax, that's about 32 CAD

Seriously, 10 hours work for $32 of value... That's less than what you get with 3 hours minimal wage, so why not just get a part-time job. I wouldn't recommend this "farming" approach to anyone unless CC introduce an "auto-quest" feature in the future :?

Retep
"Great" Mastery Member

Postby Retep » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:53 am

yingying wrote:I'm seriously impressed someone would spend so much time on sewer quests. It's an interesting experiment though.
If I read correctly, you spent 10 hours to get 13 fragments? That's just... wow. I know you don't have to watch it every second for 10 hours, but logging in every 5 minutes, wait for the quest success screen, wait for the loot selection screen, hand-select your 5-6 teams to quest again... You pretty much cannot do much else in these 10 hours.

I did a little math to see if it's "worth it" to farm fragments, using gold chests (that's what I'm working on):
- lowest gold bp require 39 frags, so 13 frag <= 1/3 of a gold bp
- current trade house price is 220 gems for a gold key and 6 gems for a gold chest, let's just say roughly 230 gems need to open once.
- From my personal experience, I need to open less than 30 gold chests to get one bp. Of course, there might be some valuable gears I get which I can sell to get some gems back, but let's forget about it for the moment
- so, 1/3 of a gold bp = 230 * 30 /3 = 2300 gems value
- If you buy 2 Bags of Gems, that's exactly 2300 gems, for 13.99 x 2 CAD, add in tax, that's about 32 CAD

Seriously, 10 hours work for $32 of value... That's less than what you get with 3 hours minimal wage, so why not just get a part-time job. I wouldn't recommend this "farming" approach to anyone unless CC introduce an "auto-quest" feature in the future :?

Well 10 hours is a very rough estimate, I probably should have kept better track of how long it took, and ya, it definitely wasn't as efficient as it could have been, I mean my kuro group with that much speed runner was pretty much finished by the time I sent out the 6th group, so there was a lot of "wasted" time where a group was finished while I was still sending out other parties. But ya, there really wasn't much time to do anything other than sewers grinding while I was playing. If I got all the groups up really quick (and did the kuro/darthos groups last) I had maybe 30-40s to check chat and/or put up some more crafts.

Thanks for the analysis on whether it's worth it or not though :) Good to know I shouldn't be wasting any more time doing this lol, and that's even using a 1 in 30 bp rate, which according to my numbers is way above the average bp rate (maybe I should share my chest opening stats at some point too lol).

Abqu
"Legendary" Mastery Member

Postby Abqu » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:02 am

Great job, Retep!

I sent out about a hundred parties or so myself, just to test.

Impressive job.

inVoh
"Flawless" Mastery Member

Postby inVoh » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:57 am

I get a higher ratio of BP Fragments out of higher lvl quests. You also get better rewards like gems/bags which also have higher bp frag drops too. I've tried and concluded that each tier of quest/bag has a different chance to drop them.

yingying
"Great" Mastery Member

Postby yingying » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:17 pm

Retep wrote:Thanks for the analysis on whether it's worth it or not though :) Good to know I shouldn't be wasting any more time doing this lol, and that's even using a 1 in 30 bp rate, which according to my numbers is way above the average bp rate (maybe I should share my chest opening stats at some point too lol).

I do enjoy reading your results and I consider it's a fun experiment. It's tedious and the money/life wasted ratio is horrible, but someone has to make the sacrifice to entertain us I guess :lol:

Yeah actually I think my chance on gold bp is better than 1 in 30 chests. Possibly something around 1 in 15-20 chests. But I don't want anyone to challenge my calculation by saying "you are too optimistic with the bp rate", so let's just pick a worse number. If we use 20 chests in the calculation, it's about 20 CAD for the "value" of all these grinding.

I always have the feeling that when some pro player talk about grinding "skillfully" and show the results, people are like "wow that's really good!". I mean, yeah 6-7 bp fragments each day are definitely better than my 1-2 per day ratio. But when you put in the perspective of money value vs. time wasted, the grinding are usually terrible. (I'm talking about F2P game in general, not just SH.) To me, every player has 3 choices: a) do more real-life work, and spend the extra money on the game, b) waste your life on grinding, or c) don't do more work and don't grind, just accept something is practically unreachable and enjoy the rest of the game. Personally I choose option c), but if I have to decide between a) and b), the former is definitely the winner here.

Retep
"Great" Mastery Member

Postby Retep » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:25 pm

inVoh wrote:I get a higher ratio of BP Fragments out of higher lvl quests. You also get better rewards like gems/bags which also have higher bp frag drops too. I've tried and concluded that each tier of quest/bag has a different chance to drop them.

Interesting, it definitely feels like I get more bp frags from purple and champ bags, but I also get more of those types of bags than any other. Never paid enough attention to differences in quest odds though. Either way, would be nice to get some additional data on this so it's not just relying on "feelings"

yingying wrote:To me, every player has 3 choices: a) do more real-life work, and spend the extra money on the game, b) waste your life on grinding, or c) don't do more work and don't grind, just accept something is practically unreachable and enjoy the rest of the game. Personally I choose option c), but if I have to decide between a) and b), the former is definitely the winner here.

Seriously, 10 hours work for $32 of value... That's less than what you get with 3 hours minimal wage, so why not just get a part-time job.

One thing I did want to mention about these comments though is that time spent is not the only thing to be considered. Despite how boring and how much of a grind it might seem to just constantly run sewers for fragments, or whatever other grind you may be doing, personally I still find that more enjoyable than my job. Probably because I have the freedom to stop whenever I want and I'm doing it because I chose to, not because someone else told me to. You also generally get to learn more about the game and get a better appreciation for it than doing a job and then "buying progress".

yingying
"Great" Mastery Member

Postby yingying » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:39 pm

Retep wrote:One thing I did want to mention about these comments though is that time spent is not the only thing to be considered. Despite how boring and how much of a grind it might seem to just constantly run sewers for fragments, or whatever other grind you may be doing, personally I still find that more enjoyable than my job. Probably because I have the freedom to stop whenever I want and I'm doing it because I chose to, not because someone else told me to. You also generally get to learn more about the game and get a better appreciation for it than doing a job and then "buying progress".

I don't know what your job is so hard to comment. Personally I would say keep sending teams to sewer quests every 5 minutes is definitely more boring than any of the job I ever took. That include all the part-time jobs I took as student, like Tim Horton, Subway, library, computer lab, and even cat sitting :lol: ) You are right you can quit grinding anytime you want, but the jobs come with the benefit of socialization (SH world chat is horrible IMHO), money, new experience/skill, and sometimes feeling of achievement :D

Kim!
"Great" Mastery Member

Postby Kim! » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:08 pm

Interesting to see the results, thanks for posting them :)

On a semi-related note, I don't grind quests looking for frags but I quest my own mats and I've been pulling 20-30k raid artifacts lately. Since March 12 I've collected 135 fragments, that's about 4 per day across all sources (daily goal, quests, bags, etc). Anyway, I'm pretty sure it's less of a grind to farm keys/gems than it is to farm for fragments xD

Azbandar
"Great" Mastery Member

Postby Azbandar » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:21 pm

You could nearly include the bag opening results as well and add that in vs having the full bag category. I get 90% of my fragments from those bags.
Mayor of Eolythes, overseer of many spreadsheets & maker of many things...MANY things.

Shop Heroes Spreadsheet | Super Team Builder Redux
Shop Heroes Spreadsheet design by Richard | Super Team Builder original design by Akerson

Return to “General Discussion”