Shop Heroes Wiki Revamp Project

Discuss anything related to Shop Heroes gameplay.
Cloudcade
Cloudcade Staff

Shop Heroes Wiki Revamp Project

Postby Cloudcade » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:03 pm

As a lot of you may have noticed, our beloved Wiki has become a bit outdated due to the more recent changes, updates and balancing that occurred across the last few months.

While this may not present to be an issue for the majority of players on these forums (as you are all already well versed with the game and experts at using the vast array of resources readily available here), it does affect a good amount of new players wishing to take their gameplay to the next level.

I know that most of you have collectively built and maintained the Wiki for the longest time and I would like to take the opportunity to call out those of you who have selflessly aided in these efforts to once again give the Wiki some love. Once the new CM team is up and running, they will be overseeing this process and creating a set of rewards as a small token of our appreciation for all of your persistent contributions to our wonderful community. It will either be in the form of some type of server-wide giveaway(s) with an upcoming patch or rewards directed at all of the contributors on an individual basis. That will be left to their discretion or to you guys to ultimately decide!

Thank you in advance to all of those who will answer this call of need and as always know that your efforts and devotion are not left unseen. We appreciate your continued support and dedication to this community!

Shiroe
"Legendary" Mastery Member

Re: Shop Heroes Wiki Revamp Project

Postby Shiroe » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:51 am

Well, it's also my experience with a few other wikis of games with active userbases in the thousands, not millions, that you get maybe 1 or 2 editors maintaining a frequency of more that 1 edit per week. :(
So it's always a stuggle to keep such a wiki updated.
I'll be doing some updates to another wiki this weekend, but might check if I have some time for the Shop Heroes wiki after that or else next week. (might have to index the templates as first step; most of those have been created by players no longer playing and I don't think there's a clear list of them and what they each do.)
I'm http://shop-heroes.wikia.com/wiki/User:SDMarukokun on the wiki.

What might help from your side could be to upload images of new blueprints etc. after patch/pack releases, so the active editor(s) don't also have to be savvy with an Unity assets decompiler to extract the images out of the game files... (link to a zip/rar/tar/other_archive file containing them could also work I guess if individual image uploads isn't practical)
as of 2016-09-11: Player level: 44, City: Eolythes, Blueprints: 517, Mastered: 419, Crafted: 78.61K
(except for tier 1 and some tier 2 artifacts mostly running my shop/gearing self sufficient)

Greybomber

Postby Greybomber » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:49 am

I am constantly looking for answers to questions that just cannot be found through google or the wiki, I may not be an avid player but i have been playing for quite some time and even I would love to see the wiki edited.

I would love to help but personally i dont think my knowledge is accurate enough to be respected.

akerson
"Flawless" Mastery Member

Postby akerson » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:10 am

Greybomber wrote:I am constantly looking for answers to questions that just cannot be found through google or the wiki, I may not be an avid player but i have been playing for quite some time and even I would love to see the wiki edited.

I would love to help but personally i dont think my knowledge is accurate enough to be respected.

Not that this is a substitute, but the discord group ([url]https://discord.me/shopheroes[/urll]) is a fantastic resource as well as the LINE group (get an invite from someone who's there already). Almost all of the "game data" is on richard's spreadsheet as well ([url]http://www.bit.ly/shopheroes[/url]). And most people jump at the opportunity to answer questions on the forums, plus a ton of guides on how mechanics work, how to progress on teams, etc etc. Not saying a wiki rally isn't a good idea (it is, and I'll probably comb through and see where I can contribute), but if you really want information on stuff the community is really great at helping new people, so feel free to reach out (:

I'd like to propose that the BIGGEST thing the wiki needs right now is an admin to template the whole thing and let others fill in the blanks. Hero pages are all different, as well as workers, quests, etc etc. If that gets properly templated I'm sure people would be more than happy ot fill in the blanks.
"I believe the forum ban was deserved, as he has been out of line, and warned.

I believe a permanent game ban was out of line."

-Abqu

WingDingo
"Epic" Mastery Member

Postby WingDingo » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:57 am

akerson wrote:I'd like to propose that the BIGGEST thing the wiki needs right now is an admin to template the whole thing and let others fill in the blanks. Hero pages are all different, as well as workers, quests, etc etc. If that gets properly templated I'm sure people would be more than happy ot fill in the blanks.

I honestly don't know what happened to the wiki. It became rapidly unusable. The templates need to be removed and replaced. I'd even go so far as to say that the ads on the wikia page are overwhelming and we should move the wiki to a completely different site. Build it from scratch.

I don't know of any sites that are both free and don't have ads. We would need to pay into a site, probably. It is personally worth it to me to pay for hosting a site that does not have ads. Ads are the scourge of the internet. If a game is too complicated that I need to go to a wiki, and the wiki is full of ads, I'd rather just not know what it was I wanted to know.

If the plan is to stay on wikia.org, please reconsider.

Abqu
"Legendary" Mastery Member

Postby Abqu » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:23 am

WingDingo wrote:
akerson wrote:I'd like to propose that the BIGGEST thing the wiki needs right now is an admin to template the whole thing and let others fill in the blanks. Hero pages are all different, as well as workers, quests, etc etc. If that gets properly templated I'm sure people would be more than happy ot fill in the blanks.

I honestly don't know what happened to the wiki. It became rapidly unusable. The templates need to be removed and replaced. I'd even go so far as to say that the ads on the wikia page are overwhelming and we should move the wiki to a completely different site. Build it from scratch.

This is one of the key reasons why I can't in good faith promote the wiki. The ads are overbearing. I tried to learn how to edit but it wasn't intuitive and Richard's compendium fits my eye far better.

The major complaint is that Richard's spreadsheet isn't very mobile friendly, but that has been taken care of by the excellent work done at: http://shopheroes.sols9.com/

Building or rebuilding a wikipedia is gonna be tough work, and it's hard to be motivated when there are excellent encyclopedic sources already available.

Retaeiyu

Postby Retaeiyu » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:30 am

I just came back to playing SH after about a year and I seem to be the last active admin on the wiki. I've been doing small updates here and there, mostly to the main page, answering any questions people have on the wiki. I wanted to start editing more heavily but I don't really know where to start and the thing is I'm fairly noobish at editing wikis when it comes to advance stuff and just simply don't know how to do a lot of things. I was going to start with mass updating BPs but making a guide for using http://shopheroes.sols9.com/ seemed better at the time.

There is code that copies data from the spreadsheet that a inactive editor wrote and puts in on the wiki but I have no clue how to use it.

If any one wants to be upped to a admin on the wiki let me know.
Retaeiyu#50373

WingDingo
"Epic" Mastery Member

Postby WingDingo » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:02 pm

Abqu wrote:Building or rebuilding a wikipedia is gonna be tough work, and it's hard to be motivated when there are excellent encyclopedic sources already available.
I helped to build the original wikia. It was mostly a pain because we were missing data and images. We have datamined most of the data, and we have most (or maybe all at this point) of the images we need. My time was divided between capturing images, editing images, uploading images, and then finally filling in the information for those images. The actual in-game images were then supplied by Cloudcade staff, and I table flipped my sand mandalas. If we copy and paste what is already available between Richard's spreadsheet and the existing wikia, it won't be nearly as complicated as you might think.

A useful and functional wikia is NOT Richard's spreadsheet. I love it to death because it is better than the wikia, but better than does not make it a full blown substitute.

The purpose of the wikia is "how do I do stuff?" People aren't logging in to see all of the wonderful art and a neatly organized data sheet. They want to know how to unlock heroes. How to unlock workers, buildings, and any number of things. They want to know how craft times work. How the cauldron works. This thing is locked or costs gems; why do I want to pay for these things? How does it all work.

Yes, some people want to know the data sheet information, and we can include that on the Wikia. But that information should be nested. The way the current wikia works for Item data is 1.) Click on Blueprints. 2.) Click on Blueprint type. 3.) See only common blueprints with Chest and Package items nested. 4.) Click on an item and see table text table text table text table text. It's a UI nightmare.

You need to be able to get to what you need to know with as few page changes as possible, as little scrolling as possible, and as little reading as possible. Granted, not everyone is looking for the same things all the time. I guarantee you 99% of players don't care about the discipline numbers of items. Can and should it be in the wikia? Yes. Should it be first or second click data? Not even close.

This how the page currently looks.

This is how the page needs to look. Viewing wikis on phones is a very real thing, despite what anyone is going to say.

Retaeiyu

Postby Retaeiyu » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:49 pm

Crap double post sorry.
Last edited by Retaeiyu on Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retaeiyu#50373

Retaeiyu

Postby Retaeiyu » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:13 pm

WingDingo wrote: The way the current wikia works for Item data is 1.) Click on Blueprints. 2.) Click on Blueprint type. 3.) See only common blueprints with Chest and Package items nested. 4.) Click on an item and see table text table text table text table text. It's a UI nightmare.

This is a part of the reason I quit editing the wiki before I took a break from the game. The old tables with started with was way better imo.

Can some one give me a screen shot of what the ads look like? Even with my adblock disabled I'm not getting any.
Retaeiyu#50373

Return to “General Discussion”