Shop Heroes Wiki Revamp Project

Discuss anything related to Shop Heroes gameplay.
Cloudcade
Cloudcade Staff

Re: Shop Heroes Wiki Revamp Project

Postby Cloudcade » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:25 pm

Shiroe wrote:Well, it's also my experience with a few other wikis of games with active userbases in the thousands, not millions, that you get maybe 1 or 2 editors maintaining a frequency of more that 1 edit per week. :(
So it's always a stuggle to keep such a wiki updated.
I'll be doing some updates to another wiki this weekend, but might check if I have some time for the Shop Heroes wiki after that or else next week. (might have to index the templates as first step; most of those have been created by players no longer playing and I don't think there's a clear list of them and what they each do.)
I'm http://shop-heroes.wikia.com/wiki/User:SDMarukokun on the wiki.

What might help from your side could be to upload images of new blueprints etc. after patch/pack releases, so the active editor(s) don't also have to be savvy with an Unity assets decompiler to extract the images out of the game files... (link to a zip/rar/tar/other_archive file containing them could also work I guess if individual image uploads isn't practical)

Noted, will be sure to forward this request to the new CM team. On the note of some of the previously active players who are no longer active playing, we will actually direct quite a bit of effort to bring these players back into Shop Heroes with the upcoming big content release we have planned. Aside from reaching out to them directly to inform them of the new update, we will involve all of your and your collective efforts to invite your friends or re-invite your former companions to rejoin Shop Heroes for some server wide prizing giveaways and special live event(s) around these efforts.

akerson wrote:
Greybomber wrote:I am constantly looking for answers to questions that just cannot be found through google or the wiki, I may not be an avid player but i have been playing for quite some time and even I would love to see the wiki edited.

I would love to help but personally i dont think my knowledge is accurate enough to be respected.

Not that this is a substitute, but the discord group ([url]https://discord.me/shopheroes[/urll]) is a fantastic resource as well as the LINE group (get an invite from someone who's there already). Almost all of the "game data" is on richard's spreadsheet as well ([url]http://www.bit.ly/shopheroes[/url]). And most people jump at the opportunity to answer questions on the forums, plus a ton of guides on how mechanics work, how to progress on teams, etc etc. Not saying a wiki rally isn't a good idea (it is, and I'll probably comb through and see where I can contribute), but if you really want information on stuff the community is really great at helping new people, so feel free to reach out (:

I'd like to propose that the BIGGEST thing the wiki needs right now is an admin to template the whole thing and let others fill in the blanks. Hero pages are all different, as well as workers, quests, etc etc. If that gets properly templated I'm sure people would be more than happy ot fill in the blanks.

Agreed. There are already a ton of great resources on the Forums, spreadsheets, etc, but the new players tend to flock to the Wiki as their first choice to look for answers. Anyone within the community here experienced with setting up and running a Wiki? Would love to get a few volunteer admins.

WingDingo wrote:
akerson wrote:I'd like to propose that the BIGGEST thing the wiki needs right now is an admin to template the whole thing and let others fill in the blanks. Hero pages are all different, as well as workers, quests, etc etc. If that gets properly templated I'm sure people would be more than happy ot fill in the blanks.

I honestly don't know what happened to the wiki. It became rapidly unusable. The templates need to be removed and replaced. I'd even go so far as to say that the ads on the wikia page are overwhelming and we should move the wiki to a completely different site. Build it from scratch.

I don't know of any sites that are both free and don't have ads. We would need to pay into a site, probably. It is personally worth it to me to pay for hosting a site that does not have ads. Ads are the scourge of the internet. If a game is too complicated that I need to go to a wiki, and the wiki is full of ads, I'd rather just not know what it was I wanted to know.

If the plan is to stay on wikia.org, please reconsider.

We are very open to this, if you and a group of volunteers would like to manage and oversee this process, we would be more than happy to provide whatever resources needed on our end here.

Retaeiyu wrote:I just came back to playing SH after about a year and I seem to be the last active admin on the wiki. I've been doing small updates here and there, mostly to the main page, answering any questions people have on the wiki. I wanted to start editing more heavily but I don't really know where to start and the thing is I'm fairly noobish at editing wikis when it comes to advance stuff and just simply don't know how to do a lot of things. I was going to start with mass updating BPs but making a guide for using http://shopheroes.sols9.com/ seemed better at the time.

There is code that copies data from the spreadsheet that a inactive editor wrote and puts in on the wiki but I have no clue how to use it.

If any one wants to be upped to a admin on the wiki let me know.

Welcome back! Glad to see an old face and one of our early adopters rejoin our community! Also, thank you for all of your contributions to the Wiki and community thus far.

Retaeiyu
"Flawless" Mastery Member

Postby Retaeiyu » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:07 am

How does navigating this page http://shopheroes.wikidot.com/wiki:rings compare to the current wiki? To wide? Annoying ads?
Retaeiyu#50373

Shiroe
"Legendary" Mastery Member

Postby Shiroe » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:25 am

Greybomber wrote:I am constantly looking for answers to questions that just cannot be found through google or the wiki, I may not be an avid player but i have been playing for quite some time and even I would love to see the wiki edited.

Feel free to list such questions here in this topic, so we know what's missing from the wiki.

@WingDingo: ads are annoying, but when logged in I nearly only have the "ads" for other wikias, wikia blog posts at the bottom as ads. I guess it's a heavyhanded approach to getting people to login by Wikia, just like facebook is near impossible to browse when not logged in (big full-width popup in the middle of the screen, which you can relegate to the bottom 40% of the screen, but still makes looking through a facebook page a real pain)

And wikia does have a mobile preview option for edits, but just like the spreadsheet, it's hard to make tables of data fit onto mobile.
(I've heard "hey, can someone look this up. I'm on mobile, so can't use the spreadsheet" multiple times. :| )

Lol, no idea why the mobile preview of the navigation looks so quirky...
as of 2016-09-11: Player level: 44, City: Eolythes, Blueprints: 517, Mastered: 419, Crafted: 78.61K
(except for tier 1 and some tier 2 artifacts mostly running my shop/gearing self sufficient)

WingDingo
"Epic" Mastery Member

Postby WingDingo » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:34 am

Retaeiyu wrote:Can some one give me a screen shot of what the ads look like? Even with my adblock disabled I'm not getting any.

I apologize for posting ads, but it is necessary for the development of the wiki to show what not to do.

I'll just have to trust you when you say what you say. I'll just have to assume you don't trust me when I tell you there are ads. Here are some examples. There is Sponsored Content both at the top and at the bottom of the screen before you can read the comments. There is a small box to x out about in blue for Nintendo. This is my screenshot using Adblock Plus on Firefox:

http://shop-heroes.wikia.com/wiki/City

My phone does not use any sort of ad blocker. I am also admittedly not well versed in optimizing cell phone use. The home page was pretty normal (as is the case of most websites on phones). As soon as I slide my screen or click a button anywhere, that's where the magic happens. Today's exciting ad was for a Best Buy laptop. After having to wait 3 seconds to close the full screen ad, I was welcomed to full screen of literally nothing useful until I swipe down, also containing an ad.

shop-heroes.wikia.com -> Heroes Page

I apologize for posting ads, but it is necessary for the development of the wiki to show what not to do.

Retaeiyu wrote:How does navigating this page http://shopheroes.wikidot.com/wiki:rings compare to the current wiki? To wide? Annoying ads?
This is a shining example of what we are going for. No ads. Clean. Everything is contained within 2 screens on mobile. Everything is contained in 3 screens on desktop. I know there is no text and explanations yet, but there is probably very little to say about rings. For this page we'd probably just want links to the other item types and a link to the expanded view at the bottom. It is probably going to be worth the time to have an expanded view (think full on Richard's Spreadsheet) so people can see that if they want, but that should be a secondary click (or nested?) or a completely separate page (which could be one gigantic spreadsheet or subdivided by item type).

Retaeiyu

Postby Retaeiyu » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:21 am

Oh it wasn't a trust issue I was just getting curious and wanted to see it myself. The PC ones are annoying nuff but damn those mobile ones look painful.

I was thinking about adding a Item type directory at the top and a small and quick chart of who can equips rings under it. If we are going to go with doing a more advanced list then I vote for it being a separate page.
Retaeiyu#50373

Shiroe

Postby Shiroe » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:45 am

Funny, I just tried viewing the wikia on my phone using Dolphin and when viewing as "user agent = desktop" there's the expected annoying left/right scrolling, but hardly any ads, while switching to "user agent = android" a whole bunch of text info seems to disappear, I get more ads plus the "hey, please install our Game Guides app"...

About wikidot: at first glance it seems to have a bit more limited wiki formatting set compared to mediawiki (wikipedia, wikia), especially for templates. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing; templates on the Shop Heroes wikia got a tad ambitious and undocumented on which ones were there (can't really expect new editors to look through other item pages to check which 5+ templates they should use on a new item page...)
as of 2016-09-11: Player level: 44, City: Eolythes, Blueprints: 517, Mastered: 419, Crafted: 78.61K
(except for tier 1 and some tier 2 artifacts mostly running my shop/gearing self sufficient)

Shiroe

Postby Shiroe » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:48 am

Retaeiyu wrote:Oh it wasn't a trust issue I was just getting curious and wanted to see it myself. The PC ones are annoying nuff but damn those mobile ones look painful.

I was thinking about adding a Item type directory at the top and a small and quick chart of who can equips rings under it. If we are going to go with doing a more advanced list then I vote for it being a separate page.

The "navigation" bars being at the top instead of the bottom always bugged me about the wikia.
If you click a page, you first want to read the info on that item/building/etc. and _then_ navigate to a similar page, not get that navigation before getting the info...

Retaeiyu

Postby Retaeiyu » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:56 am

Shiroe wrote:
Retaeiyu wrote:Oh it wasn't a trust issue I was just getting curious and wanted to see it myself. The PC ones are annoying nuff but damn those mobile ones look painful.

The "navigation" bars being at the top instead of the bottom always bugged me about the wikia.
If you click a page, you first want to read the info on that item/building/etc. and _then_ navigate to a similar page, not get that navigation before getting the info...

Hmm I will try it at the bottom and see how it goes.
Retaeiyu#50373

akkordovich

Postby akkordovich » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:52 am

At first - i'm very sorry for my English, it isn't my native language.
You're right - current situation with game content is big pain. At this moment i'm creating a site with information about ShopHeroes based on dear Richard's data spreadsheet in Russian Language. And, off course, it's extremely hard to get needed resources, so i need to get the data about items from spreadsheet, then get images from another resource and make them linked to item and more, more, more pain)
But spreadsheet is extremely useful for automatic parsing so i need to simply copy sheet with items to my script and get smth like this:

So we can transform sheet information to readable page with all information about Price, Strength, Precraft, Steps and many more.
So if you want to create new, cool wiki - you should create it on your own server (base wiki script), not in on other wiki-services.
Wiki have their own api - so, (for example let's talk about items), you can update Wiki dinamycally, by creating your database snapshot, load it into needed script and press "Generate" button. Script will automatically make updates to Wiki based on information. Another feature - you can use one your snapshot for generating multi-language wiki's, based on your resource. Trust me, for foreighn players (from Russia, Italy, Spain and any other countries) up-to-dated information on his native language are very useful for game.

Anyway, if you need any help with your wiki or scripting - freely ask me.

aks47u
"Great" Mastery Member

Postby aks47u » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:02 am

akkordovich wrote:...
So if you want to create new, cool wiki - you should create it on your own server (base wiki script), not in on other wiki-services.
Wiki have their own api - so, (for example let's talk about items), you can update Wiki dynamically, by creating your database snapshot, load it into needed script and press "Generate" button. Script will automatically make updates to Wiki based on information. Another feature - you can use one your snapshot for generating multi-language wiki's, based on your resource. Trust me, for foreign players (from Russia, Italy, Spain and any other countries) up-to-dated information on his native language are very useful for game.

Really good idea here to host the wiki yourselves. Will give you more control over content and ads (if any).

Return to “General Discussion”