Does higher power reduce chance of injury?

Discuss anything related to Shop Heroes gameplay.
omgabear
"Great" Mastery Member

Re: Does higher power reduce chance of injury?

Postby omgabear » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:07 pm

cc_Tadaaah wrote: we won't share the mass amounts of data because that isn't something game developers do.

Plz to be publishing CC payroll data. /s

There is truth that end game players are going to play a lot more hardcore and pay a lot more attention to the meta strategies of the game.

I'm reminded of World of Warcraft's second through fourth raid instances, (Blackwing Lair, Ahn'Qiraj, Naxxrammas), being demonstrations of an evolving understanding of the player base by the designers.

BWL was supposed to take months, and was knocked over in ... a week, or so, before being hard gated by timed craftables. Oops, there are a few players that are whole orders of magnitude better than the play testers even with a cheat sheet straight from the developers.

AQ was overshooting a response to that, and largely punching players in the face while also time-gating things (until, lol, players discovered how to skip the first third of the raid and solo the major gating boss (shaman totems finally op!).

Naxx was the beginning of the developer shifting into what I believe is CC's philosophy, the mediumcore. So what if the top 1% of gamers roll over the game? They were going to, anyway. A game that only they can enjoy will leave an enormous amount of the player base disengaged (and lead you to such fun products as Vanguard, the Everquest 3 that 5,000 people played, maybe, but man oh man, were those 5,000 very well listened to people).

Ultimately, if the mechanic is "green is 10% chance of injury" which can be reduced up to, say, 5% with some additional power, then all statements provided can reasonably be true, high end players are going to run quests more often and therefore run into unlikely situations more likely and just like Firaxis and X-COM, everyone will remember the 1 in 5 "80% chance to hit" shots that miss, and none of the hits... not to mention, some poor clown is going to be the unlucky one who still draws an observed 50% miss rate. Meanwhile, I will be in global chat, selling my pitchforks. Rah rah!

anpaperface

Postby anpaperface » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:32 am

So not sure if this has been answered in another random hidden away post also but:

Does the collective building boost for hero power apply to the injury chance when you start the quest or when the quest finishes or both?

ie. If I boost a hero and start a quest - will I then get injured if the boost drops before the quest finishes?

WingDingo
"Epic" Mastery Member

Postby WingDingo » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:55 am

anpaperface wrote:So not sure if this has been answered in another random hidden away post also but:

Does the collective building boost for hero power apply to the injury chance when you start the quest or when the quest finishes or both?

ie. If I boost a hero and start a quest - will I then get injured if the boost drops before the quest finishes?

Everything resulting from the completion of a quest is actually rolled immediately at launching the quest. Quests have an effective 0 second duration; you have to wait until the timer ends before you can see the results (but the results have actually already happened in the programming).

Lynet

Postby Lynet » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:48 am

Everything resulting from the completion of a quest is actually rolled immediately at launching the quest. Quests have an effective 0 second duration; you have to wait until the timer ends before you can see the results (but the results have actually already happened in the programming).

Really? Then why is it that sometimes Hero's start a quest with 0% chance to break something, end it with >0% and break the item?

cc_Tadaaah
"Legendary" Mastery Member

Postby cc_Tadaaah » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:39 am

Lynet wrote:

Really? Then why is it that sometimes Hero's start a quest with 0% chance to break something, end it with >0% and break the item?

This shouldn't happen.

anpaperface

Postby anpaperface » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:20 pm

I believe the poster is referring to another bit of semi-stealth information that the level-up is done before the break calculation.

But this is still consistent with everything being calculated when the quest is activated.

It makes sense that everything is calculated when you hit go - I will take your word on it WingoDingo - thanks.

cc_Tadaaah

Postby cc_Tadaaah » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:59 pm

anpaperface wrote:I believe the poster is referring to another bit of semi-stealth information that the level-up is done before the break calculation.

But this is still consistent with everything being calculated when the quest is activated.

It makes sense that everything is calculated when you hit go - I will take your word on it WingoDingo - thanks.

No, if an unbreakable item breaks, please send us a ticket so we can investigate. Be sure to include details as this would be a bug.

omgabear
"Great" Mastery Member

Postby omgabear » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:07 am

Lynet wrote:

I was thinking randomly about this the other day... is there any chance these incidents are happening when players are boosting the hero building subsequently, and not realizing it? I may be the only absent minded professor here, but my Onera accidentally 40'd under such circumstances. (Fortunately, no items were entering the break zone)

Genyl
"Great" Mastery Member

Postby Genyl » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:07 am

omgabear wrote:
cc_Tadaaah wrote: we won't share the mass amounts of data because that isn't something game developers do.

Plz to be publishing CC payroll data. /s

There is truth that end game players are going to play a lot more hardcore and pay a lot more attention to the meta strategies of the game.

I'm reminded of World of Warcraft's second through fourth raid instances, (Blackwing Lair, Ahn'Qiraj, Naxxrammas), being demonstrations of an evolving understanding of the player base by the designers.

BWL was supposed to take months, and was knocked over in ... a week, or so, before being hard gated by timed craftables. Oops, there are a few players that are whole orders of magnitude better than the play testers even with a cheat sheet straight from the developers.

AQ was overshooting a response to that, and largely punching players in the face while also time-gating things (until, lol, players discovered how to skip the first third of the raid and solo the major gating boss (shaman totems finally op!).

Naxx was the beginning of the developer shifting into what I believe is CC's philosophy, the mediumcore. So what if the top 1% of gamers roll over the game? They were going to, anyway. A game that only they can enjoy will leave an enormous amount of the player base disengaged (and lead you to such fun products as Vanguard, the Everquest 3 that 5,000 people played, maybe, but man oh man, were those 5,000 very well listened to people).

Ultimately, if the mechanic is "green is 10% chance of injury" which can be reduced up to, say, 5% with some additional power, then all statements provided can reasonably be true, high end players are going to run quests more often and therefore run into unlikely situations more likely and just like Firaxis and X-COM, everyone will remember the 1 in 5 "80% chance to hit" shots that miss, and none of the hits... not to mention, some poor clown is going to be the unlucky one who still draws an observed 50% miss rate. Meanwhile, I will be in global chat, selling my pitchforks. Rah rah!

This was a good read. Because of what you say there is a tendency for games to have a live test environment where (usually hardcore) players test the new content before releasing. I think CC had that in some plans and it is a good idea as you basically get free testers. Even only publishing patch notes and getting feedback is useful. The community will be divided but most people will try to help in good faith.

Those comments about WoW bring back good memories. We had a server first kill of BlackWing thinking out of the box. For that particular fight I remember I healed like half of the other healers combined using a peculiar mechanic => stacking m/5s and +healing and using lower level spells as the +healing made them godly, spamming the button the whole fight lol, they nerfed it in the next patch...

cc_Tadaaah

Postby cc_Tadaaah » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:42 am

Be looking for the chance to sign up for Beta soon.

Return to “General Discussion”