A F2P Long Newbie Guide - updated August 2016

Discussion of lower level gameplay and strategy.
Fluffy
"Great" Mastery Member

A F2P Long Newbie Guide - updated August 2016

Postby Fluffy » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:16 am

A little about me which isn't so important: Hi! I'm Pillow a.k.a. Fluffy. I've read pages in wiki and some parts of this forum. I enjoy this game and believe a lot would enjoy this game too if they actually know some tips around complicated areas in game. I like making game guides, so I hope you permit me to write this one too! If there are faqs already written in other pages, I swear on my account that I have not copy pasted any of them and started this newbie guide from scratch. For veterans, feel free to politely correct me if I have misinformation in some parts. These have been my own experiences and info I've read over the few days. Now, onwards to version August 2016.

This guide/advise sheet will start after you have finished the tutorial and unlocked "Trade House" at level 5. It is highly suggested you focus on leveling first until 15 to increase your net worth easier. Some of these can be read in the FAQ by cloudcade. It can be located at the cogwheel on the upper right of the screen.

***General reminders***
1) Do free spins every 8 hours!! Do NOT spend for extra spins.
2) Watch videos in the Inn every 10 minutes to an hour which gives 2 gems each. Make full use of this by restarting your application (IOS). For other devices, you can try the FREE Gems button at the Gem shop. Wait for it to pop up and be patient in finding good offers.
3) Time is essential. Have an upgrade of a workstation, resource bin, counter top, or storage items ALL the time.
4) Gems are very precious and if you plan on going free-to-play all the way, just remind yourself that one gem is equal to about 200k-500k+ range in gold. If your hero equipment breaks, say goodbye to it (thanks Shiroe!). Also, never ever (as long as you're new without at least 100M networth) use gems for upgrading anything (everything can wait for low levels) nor to buy goods to sell for your npcs/buyers.
5) Always have your heroes running on quests at the Inn so you don't run out of materials.
6) Join a low to mid tier (based on your level) active city. It is difficult and will greatly slow down your leveling (if you aren't a grinder) if you will start your own city; but, do not join a high up city either because you won't be able to do fast upgrades by using city buildings. Level your resource bins and workstations at least to 7-10 before venturing to a mid to big city.

***IDEAS you should familiarize yourself with***
I. Leveling UP and Trade House
A. Why level up
- Unlocks several options. Check out the following to see if you have unlocked a new feature on your level up (can be checked at wiki for specific levels):
o Extra worker for main shop
o Extra crafting slot at main shop
o Extra trade house slot
o Extra Quest slot at the inn
o New furniture
o More raid rewards
***Aim first at least at level 24. At this level, if your city has 3 tier workers, then you will be able to access all of your unlocked blueprints.***

B. How to level up efficiently
- Leveling can ONLY be done by selling items to Non Player Characters (NPC's) or heroes who pass by your shop to buy equipment
- The idea is: the more expensive or higher cost in gold you buy or sell from an NPC, the more experience (exp) points you will gain
- Increase your energy (heart icon-bar on top beside gold) maximum values by either upgrading your main shop counter or buying gem furniture (which we cannot afford early on)
- Compliment and surcharge every hero who pass by
- Choose two to three blueprint lines to focus on your first 15 levels. Take note of the resources they require and try balancing them per craft slot to avoid running out of resources. (Ex. Swords - iron, Staff - Wood, Hats - Cloth)
- Buy and upgrade the racks of these lines to recycle energy faster = more income
***And the most important is keep leveling your heroes (ideally near what your blueprints can craft) The higher the level, the more expensive things they will request. You can do this through quests or hero building upgrades***

C. Reminders
- Avoid spreading out to many item blueprints until you have enough storage space and level up-ed to a point where the heroes need more expensive equipment
- USE THE TRADEHOUSE. Browse through the trade house every few minutes and look at the items offered within the level of your heroes (maximum is at +/- 6 levels of your heroes. Buy items at the same or lower selling price to NPCs. This way, you get money from surcharging npcs and get exp while waiting for your crafts to finish

D. Trade house Tabs
o My Trade: This is where you set up your trades. Whether you want to offer (sell) or request (buy) something, the quality, quantity, gem or gold, and price.
o City Requests: You can request from your city mates every 8 hours for quest loot and equipment
o Offers: You can browse items being sold by others. Use this to buy items instantly
o Requests: You can browse items willing to be bought by others. Use this to sell items instantly
o Check this resource for more info:
http://shop-heroes.wikia.com/wiki/Trade_House
- You can only sell items ten times its original price (also at 10x maximum of your networth)
- You can only cancel trades without a 3 day slot-lock penalty if you:
o Cancel within 5 minutes of placing the offer
o Cancel after 4 hours have passed since placing the offer
o Cancel after at least one of the offered items have been sold
o Purchase using gem to upgrade slots
**Note that these apply only to one offer. For example, I can cancel infinitely the same slot as long as it's less than 5 minutes up**

II. Inn Explorations, Hero Equipment and Quests
A. Why send heroes to quests
- Quests are the most common ways to level your heroes
- You get materials for equipment making
- You can get extra gold, gems, keys, chests, sacks, and equipment randomly
- You can get a trophy furniture for each quest you master at the inn (Fight boss when available to rise in tier)
- Blueprint Fragments Seller: you can buy chest BPs here. Do not waste for low-tiered equipement. Get the low requiring blueprint fragments from leather, wood, and silver chests once you can afford them. Save up fragments for BPs which can only be obtained from more expensive chests like magic and dwarfen chests.

B. Idea behind broken equipment
- Each equipment, if not above "flawless" or rarer form is bound to break at a certain percentage (Rarity: Common>Good>Great>Flawless>Epic>Legendary>Mythical)
o Check this resource for more info: http://shopheroes.wikia.com/wiki/Quality
- The ideal equipment for each hero is the one within their level
- Heroes also have favorites, neutrals, and dislikes. Look at the vacant equipment slot of the hero, if there is a shade of yellow for a bow, for example, then equip that hero with the bow to lessen the chances of breaking. White means neutral affinity and gray means the hero hates it and would most probably break it!
- In quests, leveling does not affect breaking of equipment as the level up comes after the announcement of broken equipment

C. Special Quests given by random NPCs called Bulk Orders
- At certain levels, a random NPC will give you materials to craft or collect
- Complete within the time frame to get the rewards (you get fixed rewards regardless of how fast you turn them in)
- You can refuse them as the same npc will show up roughly in a day's time or two, to ask the same items (take note of their requests and start stocking)
- You can turn in higher quality of equipment (If it's cheaper to buy good ones than the common quality the npc is asking for, then give him good or even great ones instead! Be economical)
- If you delivered some items and have the timer expire, you can choose to get back the items or get the partial reward; it is better to refuse them and re-run the whole quest some other time to get full rewards

III. Worker Skills
A. Skill points
- Basic or starting workers have two skill sets and a mastery which you can place points in
- At the early stage, better focus on upgrading the main skills than mastery
- Mastery increases the chances of crafting rarer quality of items
- Crafting items or upgrading certain buildings in the city increases the workers' skills
- Workers who are fired will keep all their skills and will just need gold to rehire

B. Working Stations and the red numbers
- At a certain level when you have leveled your worker's skills set fast enough, you would notice that your working station may have number at red or values which have the first more than the second (example: 140/20), this means that your station can only accommodate 20 skill points to work efficiently. The higher equipment grades will now have time penalties
- To solve this problem, upgrade your working station so you can craft higher leveled equipment faster. You may now pump mastery on your workers if your working station cannot catch up with your skill mastery

IV. Net Worth and City Investments
A. How to increase net worth
- Finish achievements: click your avatar> select achievements> choose what you can finish and complete them
- Expand/Upgrade the floor space of your shop: the more items you can place, the higher your assets are
- Design and place furniture in your main shop (Aim for at least 25 to get an achievement)
- Upgrade your resource bins, storage, counter top, and working stations
- Equip your heroes with their better and more expensive gear
- Invest in your city
Last edited by Fluffy on Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:10 am, edited 14 times in total.

Fluffy
"Great" Mastery Member

Re: A Long Newbie Guide - June 2016 (by a roughly week old player)

Postby Fluffy » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:18 am

B. Why invest in city
- Each building has a different purpose. Read through them as they have an activation boost (per click) and timed boost (30 minutes after a click). One of the most helpful buildings in the city would be the Town Hall (TH).
o The town hall, when activated (with your click), deducts a certain percentage of time from any ongoing upgrade: this means you can use this to cut down upgrading times for your furniture especially if it is already taking too long!
o The town hall, when active, gives a certain discount for all incoming upgrades to be done: this means you can cut some costs in upgrading. Just make sure to do the math! This is best done when upgrading main shop space in higher tiers.
- Other buildings have their own purposes such as giving you resources per percentage of cost, decrease questing time (Inn), decrease raiding time (Castle), give instant experience points to heroes, and increase skill levels of workers
- All investments will be latter added to your networth, in which, the timed boosts indicated will help your neighbors
- If you plan on leaving your current city, you will take all your investments (if you are more than 10 days old in that city), and instantly do a fund transfer to the city you entered. If you are less than 10 days old in your city, it will prompt you that you will lose 1% for each day less than 10 that you are in that city

V. "Flips", Keys, and Gold
A. What are flips?
- Term used from trading gold to gems or vice versa (available at level 15)
- At the start of your game, these are very good ways to increase your assets and make sure you have adequate amounts of gold for your upgrades
- You need to raise your net worth in order to maximize and get the most out of flips. If you lack net worth, then do a few flips, invest and level up city buildings to increase your networth instantly!

B. Current key flips (may vary due to inflation)
o Leather keys: Buy for 7 gems and Sell for 2.5 million gold (2.25 million received)
o Gold keys: Buy for 222 gems and Sell for 100 million gold (90 million received)
o Magic keys: Buy for 800 gems and sell for 500 million gold (450 million received)

VI. PVP/Arena
A. Why bother?
- There are free pouches for you to open once you win a certain number of times
- You will receive crown jewels which are pooled among city mates. These are used by the mayor to do permanent upgrades in city buildings and increase city fame.

B. Equipment in Arena
- They are not permanent when they break while you are in battle
- Make sure to equip your heroes well, read their skills, and place them well in battle. All skills when indicating a certain position (for example, to the left), would be initiated during battle: thus when facing the opponent
- You can set a different equipment from the one the hero is wearing for quests-button below icons. This way, you can avoid breaking your best equipment and still send your heroes freely to quests.

VII. City raids
A. What is it and why join?
- It is a requirement for some cities for you to help them in city raids
- You send your heroes to retrieve quest loot
- You get free prizes like gold, gems, keys, and blueprints corresponding until your current level

B. How to join?
- Every Friday at 00:00 UTC time, a button on the upper left of the screen will show up. It lasts until Sunday 23:59 UTC.
- Your level and castle must be at least level 6
- You must have joined a city BEFORE a raid starts. If not, you can only join on the next week's raid

C. Advise
- Save up gold and use city upgrades to immediately level your heroes
- Raids have different tiers. You can change it on the quest screen on the upper left. This will allow you more raiding rewards per run.
- Do city hero building boosts during raid to increase the power of your heroes
- Use heroes with the skills of Brother in Arms or Amazon as leaders to avoid death. Learn their skills during off raid time and make sure to make full use of different team combinations to avoid equipment breakage and death

VIII. Gem Use
- In my personal experience, I used all of my gems until I reached about 24+ in flipping keys (to get sufficient amount of gold). These allowed me to upgrade everything efficiently through city boosts. I prioritized on upgrading floor space which allowed more furniture and racks, upgrading one to two storages only so I don't need many storage furniture, upgrading workstations, then resource bins. I bought all heroes and did city investments for their buildings to instantly boost levels (this allowed me to do tier 2 raids asap)
- After level 24, start saving up for an extra fusion slot at the cauldron. If you find grinding a chore, then you can use some gems to upgrade slots, but again-that comes in way later-about level 30+.

- I renamed this to F2P guide because Ive recently discovered that Money players, of course, play differently (and calls flipping keys a noobish act). It can't be helped to get that extra gold if you are not spending in the game. Compared to them who has a surplus of gems at the beginning or more space because they have a rack of all trades, F2P players needs to balance out leveling, exploring, and getting rich, which to me, makes it more challenging and fun. Thus, at a certain level (24+) you should start saving up and opening blueprint chests to avoid slowing down at leveling. Chest bps cost a lot more on resell both on npc and tradehouse.

I hope I have helped you get a glimpse and make questing a lot fun and easier even for a bit. Thanks for reading through! There are very good faqs in the other pages but no updated newbie guide (so I'm not sure if some mechanics are still the same as last year)! Good luck :D
Last edited by Fluffy on Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:12 am, edited 4 times in total.
Have officially quit the game. Thank you very much for this game and all my citymates!

Shiroe
"Legendary" Mastery Member

Postby Shiroe » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:50 am

Fluffy wrote:4) Gems are very precious and if you plan on going free to play all the way, just remind yourself that one gem is equal to about 180k-500k+ range in gold. If your item breaks and it's not even worth that much, don't bother repairing it.

Personally I'd go further and say that 99.9% of the time, "repair" would be a bad choice. ;)

6) Join a mid tier or active city. It is difficult and will greatly slow down your leveling if you will start your own city.

A solo city does have a bit of purpose early on: it will have a lower town hall than a bigger city and therefor if the newbie has gotten a big chunk of gold (through key flipping etc.) he/she could town hall boost through furniture upgrades cheaper. For nearly everything else, being together in a city indeed works better.

C. Special Quests given by random NPCs
- If you have delivered some items and have the timer expire, then you can choose to get back the items or get the partial reward

getting the partial reward means that the other reward parts are lost forever, while by getting the items back, you get a new attempt at the full rewards 1 or more days later.
as of 2016-09-11: Player level: 44, City: Eolythes, Blueprints: 517, Mastered: 419, Crafted: 78.61K
(except for tier 1 and some tier 2 artifacts mostly running my shop/gearing self sufficient)

alex
"Great" Mastery Member

Postby alex » Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:00 am

I tried focus producing on 2 or 3 items only to make a full use of racks, but some resources are depleted much faster than the other. E.g : when i was focusing on armor and leather armor only... The leather materials are consumed much faster, so ultimately i have to craft other items as well...
While it seems good on paper, its just not that efficient materials wise in practice....or am i doing it wrong?

Shiroe

Postby Shiroe » Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:25 am

alex wrote:I tried focus producing on 2 or 3 items only to make a full use of racks, but some resources are depleted much faster than the other. E.g : when i was focusing on armor and leather armor only... The leather materials are consumed much faster, so ultimately i have to craft other items as well...
While it seems good on paper, its just not that efficient materials wise in practice....or am i doing it wrong?

top red (weapons): mostly iron
bottom red (weapons): mostly wood
top blue (clothes): mostly leather + iron
bottom blue (clothes): clothes mostly leather + wood
top green: mostly herbs
bottom green: a mix of herbs, iron and leather
rings: mostly iron
amulets: mostly leather
music: mostly wood

You can pick lines with not too much resource overlap to grind them to higher level items that give more gold/exp.
(for ex. music + one of top green + one of top red or top blue would have hardly any resource overlap.)
as of 2016-09-11: Player level: 44, City: Eolythes, Blueprints: 517, Mastered: 419, Crafted: 78.61K
(except for tier 1 and some tier 2 artifacts mostly running my shop/gearing self sufficient)

Fluffy
"Great" Mastery Member

Re: A Long Newbie Guide - June 2016 (updated August 2016)

Postby Fluffy » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:22 am

Hello. I've updated the guide by tweaking some information, adding new game features available and simple advise such as for raids.
Hope more people will come to like this game! :D
Have officially quit the game. Thank you very much for this game and all my citymates!

Shiroe

Postby Shiroe » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:09 am

Fluffy wrote:Hello. I've updated the guide by tweaking some information, adding new game features available and simple advise such as for raids.
Hope more people will come to like this game! :D

Combed through it a bit (again) for some corrections and more tips:

General reminers 2):
the web/steam platforms don't have the fortuneteller at the inn and I think don't have the free gems option at the gem shop either because Cloudcade hasn't (yet) found an ad network that can work on those platforms.

+/- levels:
+/- 6 levels is I think the level range used to get the 25% set bonus for 7 gear on the hero
+/- 7 levels is the range you can suggest (items they can equip) to sell to customers

quests:
- high level players generally don't want to run low level quest to get low level quest materials (artifacts), which results in low level artifacts often making a nice chunk of gold on the tradehouse; sometimes more than the items you craft with them. (sales on tradehouse don't give experience though)
- per artifact type you get (free) storage capacity equal to your shop's item storage capacity (today had someone in world chat thinking artifacts took away from his item storage capacity)

tradehouse:
- clarification about networth cap: say you have an item with a base price of 200K gold, then the maximum price would be 2M gold. If a player would have a networth of 1.8M, he/she couldn't offer the item for more than 1.8M (so 200K below the cap) .
- taxes: the tradehouse has taxes... Gold prices have a 10% tax, gem prices a 25% tax.
So if an item is offered for 100K gold and you buy it, you pay 100K, the seller gets 90K and the game takes 10K.
If someone puts up a request for an item and is willing to spend 100K gold for it, it will display as 90K on the request (100 minus 10%, so if you fill it, you get 90K gold and the game takes the remaining 10K from the requester in tax)
It can take some time to wrap your head around the fact that an offer displaying 100K gold and a request displaying 90K are in fact the same effective price. ;)

broken equipment:
- Only epic and up can have "0%" break chance. Flawless has more than "0%" at any level and affinity.
- long-press on the hero to bring up their full-screen profile that also lists the gear affinities (yellow/white/grey)
(sorry about the wiki still using the green/yellow/red affinity colors from many, many months ago; need to find someone who can
extract the new yellow/white/light grey/dark grey images out of the game files :| )
- not 100% sure, but I think hero building investments while a hero is on a quest can cause a levelup which is applied before break evaluation is done for the quest.

PVP:
- The personal quests of heroes are used to unlock the PVP abilities of those heroes
- Up to 4 heroes can list their personal quest at the inn. If you have more than 4 heroes who still have open personal quests, you can cycle through them by sending 1 or more of the heroes with listed personal quests to a quest (for ex. Sewers),
exiting the inn and re-entering the inn to have the listed personal quests suplemented back to 4 by adding others.

VIII Gem Use:
- if you're not going the "flip gems into gold" route, saving up from the start for your second cauldron fuse slot is a very good option, so you can do 2 fuses at the same time. Mid/late game fusing becomes very important and nearly everyone will strive to have the maximum of 4 fuse slots.
Second fuse slot becomes available for 1000 gems at cauldron level 6.

"free gold":
Using the cheap gold-priced decorations, you can complete achievements Interior Decorator 1-4 by level 13 or 14 I think [1], giving you 1K + 10K + 200K + 1M gold for a fraction of that as decoration buy costs.

[1] 1 level sooner if there's a free decoration during a package release and(/or?) if you get the 2 free decoration from dowloading from the Samsung app store to a Samsung device

Fluffy
"Great" Mastery Member

Postby Fluffy » Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:45 am

I appreciate you combing through it and giving added tips!
I try not to engage in too much beginner tips though because there's a very old but good running thread with that. :D
Im not really sure with the 6-7 level range though. I tried selling 7 level differences but the item just doesn't pop out in the hero suggestions. Ill try it again some other time.
And, it's a newbie guide, so I avoid being too technical or leaning with reference to high level and experienced player styles. Thanks for your inputs though!

Ronin
"Great" Mastery Member

Postby Ronin » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:11 pm

Fluffy wrote:- I renamed this to F2P guide because Ive recently discovered that Money players, of course, play differently (and calls flipping keys a noobish act). It can't be helped to get that extra gold if you are not spending in the game. Compared to them who has a surplus of gems at the beginning or more space because they have a rack of all trades, F2P players needs to balance out leveling, exploring, and getting rich, which to me, makes it more challenging and fun. Thus, at a certain level (24+) you should start saving up and opening blueprint chests to avoid slowing down at leveling. Chest bps cost a lot more on resell both on npc and tradehouse.

I really think this could be described purely as a starter guide, with no "F2P" disclaimer needed.

Paying players have even more incentive to key-flip as most of the purchase options give gems, but little to no gold. The most efficient path for a paying player would be to key-flip even further than you recommend, probably all the way to lvl 37 for final raid rewards (with final craft slot and 2nd to last worker slot at 36). Anyone who calls you "noobish" for key flipping is themselves quite "noobish" for not understanding the massive benefit key flipping confers to a new account.

What differs for F2P players is that at around lvl 30, the exp needed to level starts jumping drastically and the gems you get from leveling and bulk order can't be converted into a full level's worth of exp. Even then key flipping will still be useful, but more for upgrading your shop.

Other than that, the only real difference between F2P and paying players is the craft chains they may focus on. A paying player might try to rush a pack-specific item chain, while a F2P player will rush down one of the more profitable common crafting chains. From the perspective of advising rushing a single chain (rather than trying to unlock everything), the advise is going to be the same for paying and F2P.

Fluffy
"Great" Mastery Member

Postby Fluffy » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:20 am

Ronin wrote:
Fluffy wrote:- I renamed this to F2P guide because Ive recently discovered that Money players, of course, play differently (and calls flipping keys a noobish act). It can't be helped to get that extra gold if you are not spending in the game. Compared to them who has a surplus of gems at the beginning or more space because they have a rack of all trades, F2P players needs to balance out leveling, exploring, and getting rich, which to me, makes it more challenging and fun. Thus, at a certain level (24+) you should start saving up and opening blueprint chests to avoid slowing down at leveling. Chest bps cost a lot more on resell both on npc and tradehouse.

I really think this could be described purely as a starter guide, with no "F2P" disclaimer needed.

Paying players have even more incentive to key-flip as most of the purchase options give gems, but little to no gold. The most efficient path for a paying player would be to key-flip even further than you recommend, probably all the way to lvl 37 for final raid rewards (with final craft slot and 2nd to last worker slot at 36). Anyone who calls you "noobish" for key flipping is themselves quite "noobish" for not understanding the massive benefit key flipping confers to a new account.

What differs for F2P players is that at around lvl 30, the exp needed to level starts jumping drastically and the gems you get from leveling and bulk order can't be converted into a full level's worth of exp. Even then key flipping will still be useful, but more for upgrading your shop.

Other than that, the only real difference between F2P and paying players is the craft chains they may focus on. A paying player might try to rush a pack-specific item chain, while a F2P player will rush down one of the more profitable common crafting chains. From the perspective of advising rushing a single chain (rather than trying to unlock everything), the advise is going to be the same for paying and F2P.

Seems fair enough. It is a newbie guide after all, whatever it may be called.
Ive read quite a lot of veterans though suggesting that paying players go ahead in buying cauldron upgrades or craft slots early on, which is why I suggested this to be F2P.
In some areas, as F2P myself, I tended to limit my storages first compared to a person with a rack of all trades, who has a leeway of some more spots.
I personally still key flip magics and up at level 39(my bp levels only at level 34+ though) because I sell most of my trades at gems. It seems more bang for the gem than other prices.

Return to “Beginner Strategy”