Afraid to Buy Booster Packs

Ask for help from veteran players and find answers not listed in the FAQ.
Forum rules
You can find answers to our FAQs within our in-game support system, also available at http://cloudcade.helpshift.com
ShelixAnakasian

Afraid to Buy Booster Packs

Postby ShelixAnakasian » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:50 pm

Hey folks!

Addictive-Personality whale here. I've had $5,000 to $20,000 investments disappear on me when games stop being supported, including the predecessor to Shop Heroes, Swords and Potions 2. I'm *REALLY* leery about spending money in freemium games anymore, when the standard official developer response is, "You're not actually buying anything, so you're not losing anything. Think of your in-app purchase as going to see a movie."

To which I'm like, "Well, I'd buy the blu-ray, and still be able to watch it. And I wouldn't have spent $20k on it."

So I have the Advanced Shopfare package, and was settling in to get the Heroic Package #2, and maybe the #1 - and just heard on the official discord server that I can use a support ticket to buy gems and have them refunded in exchange for seasonal packs (to get things like the Jaguar helm).

But at the end of all of these conversations with people, advice always comes back to the same thing: Literally every veteran says not to make any purchases because Shop Heroes has no stability, isn't supported, basic features (like IOS notifications) are broken, the guys who made Shop heroes aren't affiliated with Cloudcade, the folks at Cloudcade don't know how to get into the Shop Heroes code and do anything, and the game is basically abandonware being milked until it permanently breaks.

The niche for shopkeeper type games is tiny. There are no other entries. Swords and Potions is gone. Swords and Potions 2 is gone. Recettear is 12 years old, Stardew Valley isn't really the same, and aside from in-game economies (like crafting and selling inside FFXIV), there are no other options. I literally quit playing FFXIV because I just wanted the crafting portion of the game and came to Shop Heroes instead.

So there's no news, announcements are vague, expertise seems lacking - and I want to spend money to get all the perks, but am afraid of getting burned again; no one has anything hopeful to say.

Is there a silver lining?

cc_Darkis
Cloudcade Staff

Re: Afraid to Buy Booster Packs

Postby cc_Darkis » Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:16 pm

Don't.

Sure that's blunt and something most folks at 'X' company wouldn't say...but take that to heart.

I'd like you to get out of this game what YOU want out of it and if you feel like spending to get a few extra perks, then do so and enjoy.

I hope you enjoy the game and if you run into any issues, reach out to our team and more importantly, the community.

Those guys know their stuff and are a wealth of information.

Take my word for it.
"Cauldron is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."~river#44249 :D
"Gems of Shop Heroes are like diamonds of real life."~Prometheus :o

ShelixAnakasian

Postby ShelixAnakasian » Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:31 pm

cc_Darkis wrote:Don't.

Sure that's blunt and something most folks at 'X' company wouldn't say...but take that to heart.

I'd like you to get out of this game what YOU want out of it and if you feel like spending to get a few extra perks, then do so and enjoy.

That's what I mean though. I feel like spending to get some extra perks, but I want to know if this game is going to be here tomorrow. Not next year, or in 5 years, or if Cloudcade is going to promise a permanent, never-taken-down server...but LITERALLY TOMORROW.

I want to buy perks. The wealth of community and team that you're referring to says not to because the game might literally get switched off at any point.

Shiroe
"Legendary" Mastery Member

Postby Shiroe » Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:06 pm

ShelixAnakasian wrote:To which I'm like, "Well, I'd buy the blu-ray, and still be able to watch it. And I wouldn't have spent $20k on it."

And then at some point a few years in the future your Blu-Ray player dies and your new player just so happens to have that Blu-Ray listed in some "revoked licences" list and refuses to play it... ;-(
Unless something digital has no online component and has no DRM whatsoever, it's not "owning" it, but a use licence with not yet specified end date. :(
as of 2016-09-11: Player level: 44, City: Eolythes, Blueprints: 517, Mastered: 419, Crafted: 78.61K
(except for tier 1 and some tier 2 artifacts mostly running my shop/gearing self sufficient)

cc_Darkis
Cloudcade Staff

Postby cc_Darkis » Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:41 pm

ShelixAnakasian wrote:
cc_Darkis wrote:Don't.

That's what I mean though. I feel like spending to get some extra perks, but I want to know if this game is going to be here tomorrow. Not next year, or in 5 years, or if Cloudcade is going to promise a permanent, never-taken-down server...but LITERALLY TOMORROW.

I want to buy perks. The wealth of community and team that you're referring to says not to because the game might literally get switched off at any point.

This is a long overdue discussion that's probably a bit more complicated due to some of the core folks that have been very invested be it time, passion or even money.

The simple answer is this.....YES.

We are here for the long haul and Shop Heroes has an easy 2 year+ life cycle left in it.

I am very aware of the fact that we haven't pushed any "News" that folks want to take seriously that isnt my comments, but coming.

We've done alot of restructuring on so many fronts that it still blows my mind and wish we'd be a bit more transparent on that front...it would only reassure folks and dismiss some of these very outlandish 'Hot Takes' that are becoming the norm.

Look, I don't want to be the defender here as that paints me in a bad light lol.

When I get to have my spotlight, folks will be surprised and be shocked.

And this will still be said and warranted...

"Why didn't you say that already"

8-)
"Cauldron is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."~river#44249 :D
"Gems of Shop Heroes are like diamonds of real life."~Prometheus :o

Shiroe
"Legendary" Mastery Member

Postby Shiroe » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:14 am

A good way to have prevented people from shifting taking statements with a grain of salt to taking them with a kg pack of salt, would have been 2-track developing: in addition to the tunnelvision one trying for the big additions, you could have had branched off at current live release and done minor/mini releases of current live + new or trowback packs and cauldron visual fixes, current live + new or trowback packs and fortuneteller revive attempt #2, etc.
Small bugfix releases > silence/"can't tell more right now"/Soon(TM)
as of 2016-09-11: Player level: 44, City: Eolythes, Blueprints: 517, Mastered: 419, Crafted: 78.61K
(except for tier 1 and some tier 2 artifacts mostly running my shop/gearing self sufficient)

yingying
"Great" Mastery Member

Postby yingying » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:40 am

I worry more about the slow death of player base than CC unplugging their server. This game revolves quite heavily on trade house and city cooperation (unless you want to throw thousands of dollars to purchase gems all by yourself). There were a bunch of new players due to the game released in new geos, but I'm afraid the new supplies might dry quickly. Lately our city have seen quite a lot lvl 30ish players join in and then just stop playing after a month or so (so got kicked), if that's any indication. In the past, our city mates will be growing with us from lvl 20ish to 40-50 over months. Some may leave because they out grow our city, but they rarely go inactive when they barely reach mid game.

I'm a casual player, so I actually don't care much about new features (aside from a new sorting in fusion cauldron!). The game is good as-is for me. However, when CC cannot fix the gem lady, a way to earn THEM money, in almost a year, that really tells something. I have been itching to buy Hero pack #1 for quite a while, but I'm still holding on my purchase until I see some positive indications that CC is more involved in the game.

BTW, if you are interested in crafting game, may I suggest "Holy Potatoes! A Weapon Shop?!". It's available both on PC and iOS (andriod too I guess?). It's a pretty decent single player, offline game, and it cost less than half price of SH seasonal pack, so worth a try :D

ShelixAnakasian

Postby ShelixAnakasian » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:44 pm

Just to bring a resolution to my concern here...

Akerson was on discord and linked me his "Why Shop Heroes is a dead game" stream, detailing how the folks who made Cloudcade and Shop Heroes went onto a new company, leaving no notes or game information for what is basically a janitorial maintenance crew.

I can live with that. I played Swords and Potions 2 for two years while one guy named Simon occasionally got off his butt to check his e-mails and read all the "The game went off, please reset the servers" after a few days. I spent money on that. =D

Better a dead-ended game being hosted by a company working on something else and silence due to neglect than actual intent to close down Call it self-inflicted abuse, but it was confidence enough in longevity, and I'm comfortable spending cash to get those packs now.

I'm sure that's the weirdest "Faith in Shop Heroes" post ever, but I'll keep your lights on for another couple months.

Mitrax
"Great" Mastery Member

Postby Mitrax » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:51 am

Soon... It will happen....

I wanna decide to buy packs or not. If youre going to seasonal, all outdated packs should be available. It's like a missing content update, if you cant buy old packs. Normally the price is reduced at beginning, grows a while and after long time the price is reduced much. But CC decided to make packs available like "Halloween Pack" on Halloween. Nice to introduce, but bad for newcomer at christmas....

Regards
Mitrax

Evemok

Postby Evemok » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:38 am

What's the message when you don't even bother putting Easter packs back on sale on Easter... ?!

I was looking forward for that and ready to invest a few more bucks but now it's really just another proof that this game has been abandonned.

Return to “Help & Questions”