Ad Removal *Temporarily* Notice!

Stay up to date with the latest Shop Heroes news and events.
cc_Darkis
Cloudcade Staff

Ad Removal *Temporarily* Notice!

Postby cc_Darkis » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:17 pm

Hey guys Darkis here!

You might have already noticed but the in game ads you can watch for gems have been turned off. This is due to an issue in which a select few players were able to take advantage of an error in the set up it's self to earn more gems than intended.

We are taking actions on those accounts (Yes they are perma banned) and once we have this fixed, the ad's will return for players to enjoy once again.

I'll keep folks updated as needed and appreciate everyone's understanding in this matter!

~Darkis

**Update for those that have been banned, please reach out to support over the matter to get it sorted. Some bans are very temp while others are more of the perm nature**
"Cauldron is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."~river#44249 :D
"Gems of Shop Heroes are like diamonds of real life."~Prometheus :o

Dizzle
"Good" Mastery Member

Re: Ad Removal *Temporarily* Notice!

Postby Dizzle » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:33 pm

Bye cheaters! :D

cynthrocks
"Good" Mastery Member

Postby cynthrocks » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:44 pm

cc_Darkis wrote:
We are taking actions on those accounts (Yes they are perma banned)

Have been banned already, so everyone else is safe? Asking for a friend.

cc_Darkis
Cloudcade Staff

Postby cc_Darkis » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:15 pm

cynthrocks wrote:
cc_Darkis wrote:
We are taking actions on those accounts (Yes they are perma banned)

Have been banned already, so everyone else is safe? Asking for a friend.

Not going into details but folks tend to forget we have logs for alot of stuff.

Alot have been banned and more incoming so yes, this will be a farewell for some around here.
"Cauldron is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."~river#44249 :D

Kim!
"Flawless" Mastery Member

Postby Kim! » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:45 pm

Just to clarify, the players receiving bans used some sort of exploit? The daily limit on the gem lady has seemed really high for a while now without any funny business, really hope you're not going to punish players for using the feature legitimately. ^^;

cc_Darkis
Cloudcade Staff

Postby cc_Darkis » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:04 pm

Kim! wrote:Just to clarify, the players receiving bans used some sort of exploit? The daily limit on the gem lady has seemed really high for a while now without any funny business, really hope you're not going to punish players for using the feature legitimately. ^^;

Sorry it's pretty easy to tell who exploited things vs who watched a few extra videos.

I have to say your comment speaks volumes on the matter and really going to have the Team take a broader look at accounts than initially intended to be honest here moving forward.

Going to have to hold folks accountable this time around as it's not just "I set my time on device to get blue prints early " or "gem a dragonfire potion to game the market".

I'm sure I won't be the only one that had raised eye brows at two of the three postings made so far.

Fyi, those that didn't partake in this rest easy, there is absolutely no way you'll have actions taken on your account.

For the handful that did, well thanks for playing!

Shiroe
"Legendary" Mastery Member

Postby Shiroe » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:41 am

cc_Darkis wrote:Sorry it's pretty easy to tell who exploited things vs who watched a few extra videos.

Going to have to hold folks accountable this time around as it's not just "I set my time on device to get blue prints early " or "gem a dragonfire potion to game the market".

Hmm, kind of sounds like the cheaters found some way of getting the gems without even playing the ads.

I don't remember if it was this game or another where ages ago people talked about resetting advertising ID to get more videos (should be easily preventable by allowing just 1 advertising ID per account per time period of for ex. 24 hours), but with Shop Heroes fortuneteller already normally giving out enough videos to block phone/tablet use for a couple of a few minutes sessions per day, would you really want to block the device any longer? (would be nice to have split screen or in the background multitasking on phone and tablet, but then of course rewarding for such in app ads would plummet since the advertisers would know they'd be less actively "seen". ;) )

I think I've also heard of people linking their PC-only (Steam/Facebook/Kongregate/etc.) account to an android emulator one, but if that's just one, that only levels the playing field free gem wise vs those that also play on a phone/tablet. (could be fixed by finding an ad network that's willing to show ads on the Steam/facebook/kongregate etc. client)

edit: a facebook comment on the announcement seems to indicate it's a simple clearing of the app data. But that's also just another case of "the server shouldn't blindly trust whatever the client claims"...
as of 2016-09-11: Player level: 44, City: Eolythes, Blueprints: 517, Mastered: 419, Crafted: 78.61K
(except for tier 1 and some tier 2 artifacts mostly running my shop/gearing self sufficient)

cynthrocks
"Good" Mastery Member

Postby cynthrocks » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:52 am

cc_Darkis wrote:
Sorry it's pretty easy to tell who exploited things vs who watched a few extra videos.

I'm sure I won't be the only one that had raised eye brows at two of the three postings made so far.

Good thing I was legitimately asking for a friend. I have, like, 7 gems and only 3/4 fusions slots. Would have hoped you thought more of me :(

So you sort of answered my question, thank goodness I have chatted enough with you to be able to translate DarkisSpeak. A few people, I'm guessing serious offenders, have been permanently banned from the game. More will be banned soon.

Now, again, asking for a friend. How many gems from watching videos would you say constitutes a ban? where is the line drawn between people watching a few extra videos and exploiting the system? I'm sure the ones who watched the few extra, who will not be banned, would like their minds put at ease.
Last edited by cynthrocks on Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

cc_Darkis
Cloudcade Staff

Postby cc_Darkis » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:00 am

"Now, again, asking for a friend. How many gems from watching videos would you say constitutes a ban? where is the line drawn between people watching a few extra videos and exploiting the system? I'm sure the ones who watched the few extra, who will not be banned, would loke their minds put at ease."

Sorry not going to be able to share that but I can say I'm having a lax threshold on it, looking at peoples player history/intentions and how long they exploited this.

The bans are perma and no real room to wiggle out of them this time around. :!:

raygen20

Postby raygen20 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:22 pm

Hi, I play Shop Heroes from an Android Device. I understand from reading this thread that the admins are unwilling to reveal exactly the illegal action that warrants a ban for understandable reasons(More players might exploit the same thing)
However, I have a few questions regarding ads for gems
1. Is there a daily limit for the number of gems one can receive per day?
2. I used to get between an average of around 50 - 70 gems a day watching ads. Is this normal and as intended by the system?

Return to “News & Announcements”